VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-02-14, 09:34:

But you can turn of pixelshader in the morrowind setup, so there is no use of a patch that deactivates it.
Beside that the watershaders (pixelshaders) are not so pretty on original morrowind. The g400-demo DX6/7? shows much better water, WITHOUT pixelshader hardware.

If dos also count's for native Win3x drivers, then the rage128 should have none. nvidia up to tnt2 should have win3x-drivers. r7000 runs with vesa-drivers 256colors.

Yeah Leileilol reminded me, its been 18 years since I last played Morrowind (Released in 2002) so my memory of what did what was a little faded, but as I wrote there was a mod that did help to make Morrowind on low end PCs a lot more enjoyable. I eventually upgraded that machine to a Radeon 9600xt which let me play it with all the bells and whistles on, im tempted to give it another playthrough since its been so long.

Reply 22 of 23, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-02-14, 11:28:

Would be nice to get that mod, because Morrowind is to slow on P3 and even early P4 have performance-issues with it.

I wish I could remember what the name of it was, I do know it was popular at the time.

Reply 23 of 23, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-14, 08:53:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-14, 06:36:

Well there are mods that remove the Pixelshader support from Morrowind and allow it to run perfectly fine on systems that dont have it, I remember using such a mod back in the day, it was not a great experience but it did let me enjoy the game till I could afford to upgrade to a Radeon 9600XT.

Morrowind doesn't require pixel shaders or a mod to remove them, it DOES have a fallback for shaderless hardware. Water becomes a gray murky animated texture, and that's it.

Sure, but I think it's a non-issue either way. The MX440 is just simply underpowered for Morrowind. If you aren't interested in a TES themed slide show, or want to play it in low resolution and graphics settings, it's best to leave this game to a much more powerful GPU. Especially paired with a Katmai-450. I think that's already the minimum recommendation for the game.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png