VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m looking for people who own these cables to report their experiences.

I need (preferably) a self contained active cable that gets it’s power from the port and converts the vga video from the card into a hdmi signal that my 4k tv will like.

I have a few converters. One never works, (may be dvi to vga not vga to dvi) and one that is vga to hdmi and only works (poorly) on very select resolutions.

I need it to work in post, bios, dos, windows, and 1920x1080 or whatever my vga card supports on output. If it’s a 4:3 it should appear with black bars on the side, if it’s 16:9 it should fill the screen. You know, something that works properly.

What are you guys using?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-18, 05:00:
I’m looking for people who own these cables to report their experiences. […]
Show full quote

I’m looking for people who own these cables to report their experiences.

I need (preferably) a self contained active cable that gets it’s power from the port and converts the vga video from the card into a hdmi signal that my 4k tv will like.

I have a few converters. One never works, (may be dvi to vga not vga to dvi) and one that is vga to hdmi and only works (poorly) on very select resolutions.

I need it to work in post, bios, dos, windows, and 1920x1080 or whatever my vga card supports on output. If it’s a 4:3 it should appear with black bars on the side, if it’s 16:9 it should fill the screen. You know, something that works properly.

What are you guys using?

I suggest an Extron RGB-DVI300(A) or Extron RGB-HDMI-300 . The 60Hz output should be supported by practically any TV .

If you know for a fact that your TV supports 70Hz input at oddball resolutions, an OSSC would be an option .

As you will be using a TV, display aspect ratio should be controllable on the TV itself .

Reply 3 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-18, 05:50:

A fun place to be, IMHO . 😉

EDIT: BTW Pierre32, parlez-vous français ? (Do you speak French ?).

Reply 4 of 5, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-02-18, 06:29:

I do not! I just enjoy the French version of my Anglo name 😁 And occasionally the Italian or Spanish.

Reply 5 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-18, 07:12:
darry wrote on 2022-02-18, 06:29:

I do not! I just enjoy the French version of my Anglo name 😁 And occasionally the Italian or Spanish.

Cool! My screen name is derived from my middle name. It is in no way inspired by the Darry character in S.E. Hinton's novel "The Outsiders" (or its movie adaptation, though) .

Ironically, us retro amateurs/enthusiasts are, in a way and to a point, outsiders in our own right.