VOGONS

First post, by AwesomeMarioFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased two brand new zero hour Sun CRT monitors (rebadged Sony GDMs). I have unboxed them both since they have arrived and have been using one of them to play GC/Wii games. I would estimate I had it powered on for maybe 10-20 hours total. I noticed today, and also once last week when I had it on then, that it made a slight snapping noise (almost like a static shock sound), and the picture shrunk about half an inch for a split second. Today it actually made two small shock noises in a row, but the screen only shrunk with the second one. I have had it on since then for a couple of hours and it seems to be working fine.

I have had issues before with bad flybacks so I knew that it wasn't good when I saw it do that, however I am confused because it is brand new and has been sealed in its factory box for 20+ years. Could this possibly be arcing due to impurities inside of the CRT itself from manufacturing? Or, is it more likely that it is an issue with the flyback or anode? I understand that arcing is normally either internal to the flyback, from the flyback to some external ground, or from the anode cap/wire, but I was wondering if there could be some other reason for this that I am missing. Also, is there a way I can narrow down where the intermittent arcing sound is coming from, and is it okay to use the monitor like this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply 1 of 5, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a Sony GDM monitor that arced a couple times when I first got it. Eventually it stopped and never happened again. I can only assume there were some impurities somewhere that burned off.

Reply 2 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It sounds like you will need to open them up and take looks around if it continues. I can imagine maybe some material has disintegrated a bit and is causing problems in some way...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 5, by AwesomeMarioFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-02-22, 22:13:

I had a Sony GDM monitor that arced a couple times when I first got it. Eventually it stopped and never happened again. I can only assume there were some impurities somewhere that burned off.

That makes sense, I am hoping that is what is wrong with my monitor. It probably was moved around a lot during shipping, so I am hoping it is just impurities in it that are burning off. I have had monitors before with bad flybacks, but those were arcing more frequently, and the arcs were louder if I remember correctly. They were used monitors that were probably not stored well, and the flyback in one of them completely failed after running for around 30 minutes, and started arcing internally as soon as I plugged it in. The arcing with my Sun monitor is quiet, and only happens maybe once after running it for a few hours.

Did the picture change at all while your GDM monitor was arcing? If so, did it temporarily shrink slightly like mine did?

Last edited by AwesomeMarioFan on 2022-02-22, 23:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by AwesomeMarioFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2022-02-22, 22:15:

It sounds like you will need to open them up and take looks around if it continues. I can imagine maybe some material has disintegrated a bit and is causing problems in some way...

Since it is only happening intermittently, I am not sure how to check what is causing it. Would it be fine to continue using the monitor, and see if the arcs decrease in frequency or disappear completely over time (if it is impurities being burned away)?