VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ask because a lot of ISA and VLB cards are limited to 2 MB. I'd like to maximise the display colour on these cards at 1280x1024, which if I do my math right would be 1280*1024*12/8 = 1966080 bytes = 1.875 MByte. This yields 4096 colours.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wanna say that was an option with one of the driver disks for one of the GD5428s I had back in the day... that was 2 moves and one continental relocation ago though, so I doubt I still have that one. I wanna say it was a card by Pine, VLB, but it could have been expertcolor or noname whitebox.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

12bit results in a huge performance loss as every other pixel is shared in memory with another, and it takes many extra instructions to do any of the rendering when these pixels are manipulated. Video performance is likely to be several times slower due to many more CPU cycles being burned in handling the pixels which is probably why 12bit never caught on.

Even if hardware blitter exists on such a card, it will similarly be limited in performance as it has to do read/modify/write cycles a lot which are a lot slower that raw reads and raw writes.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜