VOGONS

First post, by BraveToaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

When I put up my old Pentium 233 MMX again, I found a used CRT monitor that's in very good shape and is overall working very well, but it has very limited brightness. It's a Samsung SyncMaster 750Ms, and brightness and contrast are both set to 100%. At that setting, normal operation is fine, but any game that's a little darker (Doom without Gamma correction or Full Throttle) are only playable when all lights are out, and even then it's kind of hard to make out the screen contents.

I know that CRTs get dimmer as they age, but this seems to be a little extreme to me. Does anyone have an idea whether it's possible to get this monitor to a higher brightness, like with a maintenance menu or some hidden hardware setting? Alternatively, is there a way to mess with the input signal or potentially set some gamma correction with software (graphics card is an ATI Rage II+) or some box that messes with the VGA signal?

As you all know it's really difficult to find a decent CRT on the market right now that isn't scratched or anything, so it'd be really great if I could fix the one I have.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try adjusting acceleration voltage ("Screen") on the flyback transformer inside the monitor. It can make things work fine again for a while, assuming the tube is not too worn, in which case you get the dark stuff get tinted while not boosting overall brighteness much.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜