VOGONS

First post, by wirysage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have an early 440LX P2L97 v1.05 with the early model voltage regulators that are under rated for the AGP standard. This means that anything newer than a Riva 128 crashes when hardware acceleration causes big power draw. Reading vintage posts it's something to do with the fact that these early boards has voltage regulators that could only supply 5 amps on power draw and most cards after the RIVA 128 just cause it to restart.

I've tried Geforce 6200, Quadro 4 380XGL etc but they all do the same sort of thing crash at various stages of changing resolutions or booting. If you run Windows XP in VGA mode via F8 it never crashes. Apparently old forum posts say that the revision 2.05 of this mobo fixed this voltage regulator issue so most cards will work.

The question I have is, has anyone tried one of the late model AGP cards with early agp slot notch support but with a Molex or Burg connector? Would it help with this voltage regulator issue? I'd love to try it but paying $130 Australian for a rare 6600gt from the US with both power notches for a sketchy experiment is out of my budget. Anyone want to sell me anything cheap with a power connector that works and has both notches?

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cards with external power connectors are certainly more stable on old motherboards, but they still draw some power from AGP. So it might not help you with very low current limit. You can also try to find 5900XT.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 3, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is official Asus rework for early versions of P2L97 which included soldering wire directly to a capacitor and unsoldering voltage regulator leg.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 3 of 3, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would depend how the particular card is designed. The auxiliary connector won't necessarily be powering the same components as the AGP slot does, so it's possible some cards might still need to draw a lot of current through the AGP.
In actual practice though, I don't know which models would be better or worse in this way.

The 6600GT is a bridged card - the GPU is natively PCI Express and it has a separate bridge chip to convert it to work on an AGP interface. I don't know if bridged cards will work on a 440LX - they don't work on everything and the 440LX would have been seen as irrelevant by the time those cards were made.
I don't know much about the 6200, but I wonder if it's bridged also?

The Geforce2 MX and many of the 4MX cards are light on power. I'd be surprised if those wouldn't work - a lot of 2MX cards (especially the non-retail ones found in prebuilts) don't even bother with a heatsink.

In case you want to modify the board, here is the rework procedure Asus put out back then:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010401023659/ht … tnt-rework.html