VOGONS

First post, by protivakid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a Presario 4840 to mess around with. It's a '97 model with a P2, Windows 95, and has the front panel composite video input connectors. I wanted to test the recording feature so using the built-in Intel Video Capture software that came with the original OS install I tried first with a 240p source (my Sega Genesis Nomad), and a 480i source (my Goldstar 3DO).

The result was that both of the recordings were just terrible. To start the audio is so dim you have to crank up the speakers to barely hear it. There are no leveling options in the recording software. Oddly, when recording off of the live stream the audio levels sound great so I know it's going into the Compaq fine.

The bigger issue is that the picture is awful. I know screen resolutions were not great back then, but even on 800 x 600 resolution straight from the compaq, windows media player displays the video in a 2x3inch box. I'm not sure how anyone would have watched anything they recorded on this pc, or how the feature would have been any use back then in general. Perhaps I don't remember how bad 1997 videos looked, but even when exported on the "high setting" within the software, it just looks like junk. The text from Phantasy Star 4 is completely unreadable yet when the genesis is hooked up to a "70 tv using the same cables, yes it's blurry as any 90s console would be, but perfectly playable and readable.

I feel like ATI's all-in-wonder type cards were decent back having messed around with them but was this feature always a bust on these Compaq's? Perhaps that's why the composite inputs were gone on the next case design. I uploaded two videos below straight from the Compaq's HD if anyone wants to take a look. Added some screens from the software as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwlRTqOMh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SXH92795Rk

Attachments

• Export Options.jpg
    Filename
    Export Options.jpg
    File size
    26.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Record Options.jpg