VOGONS

First post, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

One of my monitors is a Dell 1708FP, which has a DVI input. Since my GeForce 4 Ti 4200 also has a DVI output, I tried connecting it this way.

Whenever I run DOS games from within 98SE, the display on the monitor is garbled, although I can hear the game music/sfx and can still interact with it via the keyboard/mouse, so it isn't frozen.

When I connect the monitor to the video card using VGA, DOS games display properly. I'm using NVidia driver 45.23.

Does anyone know how I could fix the DVI output to display DOS games?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm... that sounds weird. I know the card you mention has a converter (takes the output of the card and converts it to DVI) but I think it may not be capable of handling the modes the game is putting the card into. I'd advise you if you have a DVI to HDMI cable maybe that may resolve the issue for you to test. Try things like changing the resolution -if the game allows it - and see if it works. If it does in fact work, maybe your monitor's DVI implementation only supports standard resolutions -lets say anything below 640x480 is not implemented within its dvi spec although it's implemented on the VGA portion of the scaler. Hope this helps. 😁