VOGONS

First post, by mindaugas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I try to run 3dmark 2001se it crashes right away trying to load the benchmark. Can't get SC4 to load either. Everything works fine with a MX440.
Would this indicate a bad radeon or bad drivers? Or was it simply too new for win98se?
Using the 6-2_wme_dd_cp_30314 drivers.
Athlon XP 1700
512 DDR
Gigabyte ga-7dx F8 bios (in a Micron Millenia PC)
AGP 4x

Reply 1 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mindaugas wrote on 2022-03-27, 18:22:
When I try to run 3dmark 2001se it crashes right away trying to load the benchmark. Can't get SC4 to load either. Everything wor […]
Show full quote

When I try to run 3dmark 2001se it crashes right away trying to load the benchmark. Can't get SC4 to load either. Everything works fine with a MX440.
Would this indicate a bad radeon or bad drivers? Or was it simply too new for win98se?
Using the 6-2_wme_dd_cp_30314 drivers.
Athlon XP 1700
512 DDR
Gigabyte ga-7dx F8 bios (in a Micron Millenia PC)
AGP 4x

It definitely isn't "Too New" for Win98, my 9800 SE works fine with Win98. Do you have another system you can try the card in? Have you examined the card closely for any damage or failing capacitors? Do you have a good power supply (if it's on edge, the 9600 will almost certainly require more power than an MX440)? How's that card's cooling? What's the card's history?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 8, by mindaugas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info. What driver are you using with the 9800?
I do not have another mobo or system with AGP
Looked over it a few times and just now, I don't see any obvious damage. All the caps look good.
550w PSU
Fan runs on the card and does not overheat.
Not sure on history, ebay purchase. It works and gives video, no errors. I did notice at one point it gave some black lines on the screen but a desktop refresh cleared them. It was after 3dmark 2001 crashed.

Reply 3 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't recall for sure, either the 5-9 or the 6-2. Have you checked to see if it's in AGP 4x or 2x mode? Do you have an option in the CMOS settings to change it from 4x to 2x? I'd try 2x if you do. Also, what chipset drivers have you installed?

When I buy a used video card, I always remove the heat sink and lubricate the fan's bearing and apply fresh thermal paste since twenty year old thermal paste gets petrified.

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2022-03-27, 22:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've no experience with one of these mixed chipset boards, but I see recommendations to install the Via 4 in 1 drivers but to uncheck the AGP drivers when you do so, then install the AMD AGP driver.

Reply 6 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just remembered that I'm using the Omega driver to unlock the additional four pixel pipelines on my 9800 SE. It can also be installed in standard mode. http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1672&menustate=0

Reply 7 of 8, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How many Amps does Your power supply provide on the +5v rail? You need 30 Amps unless Your motherboard has the +12v ATX 4 pin connector.
Back in the day I tried a 9800xt on my Abit KT7-Raid and no go, it wasn't until 10 years later i realised that the 250W power supply didn't cut it.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 8 of 8, by mindaugas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Darn, so close. Tried what you said and it loaded this time and started to run. Then locked up. I think the card is bust. I did find another one at a decent price so hopefully that one works as well. Seller said it ran 3dmark. /crosses fingers.