VOGONS

First post, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, a while ago I won a scrap lot on Ebay which did contain a Voodoo Banshee (Gainward Dragon 4000 to be more specific).

When I turn the PC on, the beep codes indicate a Video RAM error. Screen turns red for a second, then the BIOS continues normaly without display errors. Also no display errors in Windows.
I did assume the error only effects 3D. Today I tested the card with 3dfx Donut benchmark and to my surprise it runs fine. Unreal also runs fine. Now I'm really confused.

Anyone got an idea what might cause this issue?

Reply 1 of 9, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm... could it posibly be a badflash? If the card works ok, I'd try to flash the gpu's bios and see what happens. Dont forget to make a backup of the original and have a separate VGA card just in case you need to go back and flash it to the original.

Reply 2 of 9, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Downloaded flash tool and BIOS ROM for Gainward Dragon 4000 AGP from 3dfxzone.it, but it doesn't work.

Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

Did I do something wrong? I didn't flash any graphics cards yet, only mainboards. Never encountered something like this.

Reply 3 of 9, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-01, 19:04:
Downloaded flash tool and BIOS ROM for Gainward Dragon 4000 AGP from 3dfxzone.it, but it doesn't work. […]
Show full quote

Downloaded flash tool and BIOS ROM for Gainward Dragon 4000 AGP from 3dfxzone.it, but it doesn't work.

Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

Did I do something wrong? I didn't flash any graphics cards yet, only mainboards. Never encountered something like this.

You might need to boot from a "pure DOS environment" for that. Either trough a floppy or maybe... a USB. And yeah, you need the dos4gw file. You can get it from here, BUT I strongly advise you to 1) Check for viruses or other malware and 2) if the download is anything else but a few K zip file, abort it. Should be ok, but I've had some websites that want me to download a "downloader". Pretty much like the dialer days but on steroids.

https://www.uselesssoftware.com/download/dos4gw-zip

Reply 4 of 9, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Donovan V. wrote on 2022-04-01, 20:14:

You might need to boot from a "pure DOS environment" for that. Either trough a floppy or maybe... a USB. And yeah, you need the dos4gw file.

I always flash from DOS environment via Win98 start disk.
Copied DOS4GW into the same directory as the flasher+ROM and it worked.
But problem persists.

Reply 5 of 9, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm... ok. Im glad that works but... I am a bit lost then. Maybe trying the video memory stress test?

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vide … tress_test.html

What I find weird is that you're getting beeps, although it works, according to what you're posting. Could be a single bit that is wrong right in the bios/textmode region. Other than that... I... have no clue. Sorry.

Reply 6 of 9, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Performed another test that was recommended by ChrisK:
Push on every memory chip during power up, to check if the connections are loose. Didn't help either.

Donovan V. wrote on 2022-04-01, 21:43:

Maybe trying the video memory stress test?

Did that. No errors found.
But interestingly VMT says that the card has a total memory of 11392000 (bytes I assume). That would be 10.86MB. It should have 16MB.

Reply 7 of 9, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-02, 00:16:
Performed another test that was recommended by ChrisK: Push on every memory chip during power up, to check if the connections ar […]
Show full quote

Performed another test that was recommended by ChrisK:
Push on every memory chip during power up, to check if the connections are loose. Didn't help either.

Donovan V. wrote on 2022-04-01, 21:43:

Maybe trying the video memory stress test?

Did that. No errors found.
But interestingly VMT says that the card has a total memory of 11392000 (bytes I assume). That would be 10.86MB. It should have 16MB.

That is weird. I am sorry that my experience with 3dfx is VERY limited, cant think of anything further than maybe... visual inspection for broken tracks? I dont know man. Sorry I know there are others that have much more knowledge experience with 3dfx quirks.

Reply 8 of 9, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I found the issue...
The problems vanished when I transplanted the card on my Super Socket 7 system.
Guess it didn't like the AthlonXP@2.166GHz.

Reply 9 of 9, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-02, 01:35:

Ok, I found the issue...
The problems vanished when I transplanted the card on my Super Socket 7 system.
Guess it didn't like the AthlonXP@2.166GHz.

My forehead hurts. 🤣. Well, I am glad that it works. Who's hungry? :V