VOGONS

First post, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problematic Banshee card, it seems to have one or more bad RAM chips (shifting color bars on display).

I have also couple common cheap graphics cards that have visually same memory chips (same amount of legs) but different manufacturer. Can i use these chips on Voodoo card for repair?

Reply 1 of 5, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What are the part numbers of the memory chips on your Banshee and on the potential donor boards? Same package is a good start but there are some other important parameters that need to be matched up as well

Reply 2 of 5, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2022-04-06, 15:28:

What are the part numbers of the memory chips on your Banshee and on the potential donor boards? Same package is a good start but there are some other important parameters that need to be matched up as well

Here they are, the most top one is RAM chip on voodoo card, others are from ATI and Matrox.

20220407-210414.jpg

Reply 3 of 5, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright so the Voodoo has 256Kx32bitx2bank (2MByte) 125MHz 3.3V SGRAM
Next one down is 256Kx32bit (1MByte) 5V Window RAM (different type of stuff, not compatible)
Last one is 128Kx32bitx2bank (1MByte) 100MHz 3.3V SGRAM (right type of memory, not big or fast enough)
Unfortunately neither of these are suitable replacement parts.

Reply 5 of 5, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From looking at pictures of a bunch of graphics cards, the main ones I came up with are SGRAM versions of Matrox Productiva G100 and Millennium G200. The G100 has 2 memory chips, the G200 has 4 memory chips (and they look to usually be the next speed grade up from the original Banshee's parts)