VOGONS

First post, by DerfJagged

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I have a Windows 98 build with a Radeon X600 XT in it and the Catalyst v6.2 driver from PhilsComputerLab. I seem to be having trouble getting a second monitor working though. If I connect a second monitor, the second monitor will display a mirror image. If I then go into display settings and enable the second monitor there, it will properly extend the desktop to use both monitors. However, when I reboot, it blue screens until I go in safemode and uninstall the catalyst driver.

Is this just a bug with the driver? Or is there something I'm missing? I'm familiar with how to troubleshoot NT systems by looking at the minidump, but I don't think there's an equivalent for Windows 98 to look more in depth.

Reply 1 of 5, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, as far as I know, Windows XP had similar problems and the eventual solution was called Windows 7, but I'm curious if anyone here has a better answer!

I like jumpers.

Reply 2 of 5, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A blue screen is by definition either a bug or faulty hardware. Bad RAM or malfunctioning hardware or some code in kernel mode has done something it wasn't allowed to do and, being kernel mode, there isn't really any safe way to recover from the situation (as for all the kernel knows the bug was to write random data all over half the kernel).

If uninstalling the graphics driver fixes the problem then most likely the driver is where the bug is but the BSOD should say which module the error was detected in.

Reply 3 of 5, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-23, 01:51:

Well, as far as I know, Windows XP had similar problems and the eventual solution was called Windows 7, but I'm curious if anyone here has a better answer!

My dad ran dual monitors on 98se for years and then triple monitors with XP nether OS has issues with running multiple monitors. Granted that was with Matrox or Nvidia graphics cards. This could just be an issue with the driver's from AMD. ATI was know for there lackluster drivers and sadly that trend has continued after AMD bought them. Although with the new 6000 series cards their drivers have really improved.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:33:

My dad ran dual monitors on 98se for years and then triple monitors with XP nether OS has issues with running multiple monitors. Granted that was with Matrox or Nvidia graphics cards. This could just be an issue with the driver's from AMD. ATI was know for there lackluster drivers and sadly that trend has continued after AMD bought them. Although with the new 6000 series cards their drivers have really improved.

Tbh, many things did work with 98 and XP, especially a fixed setup. But I was pretty impressed with my first Win7 Thinkpad, how flawlessly docking procedures, etc. worked without shutdown or any click.

(On the other hand, I generally don't hold the highest opinion on ATI drivers, but based on very limited experience.)

I like jumpers.

Reply 5 of 5, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-28, 18:32:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-04-28, 16:33:

Tbh, many things did work with 98 and XP, especially a fixed setup. But I was pretty impressed with my first Win7 Thinkpad, how flawlessly docking procedures, etc. worked without shutdown or any click.

(On the other hand, I generally don't hold the highest opinion of ATI drivers, but based on very limited experience.)

I like jumpers.