VOGONS

First post, by esasoft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear colleagues, here is a problem.
There is an ASUS A3500L laptop. Pentium-M 765, 2.1 GHz, 2 GB DDR-333, HDD 320 GB, Intel 852 chipset, video - embedded, Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (DirectX 7 and OpenGL 1.3).
OS Windows, XP and 7.
It is impossible to turn on OpenGL under Windows 7.
I have already tried every driver I could find (of course, everything is for XP). I was even able to install those versions that, as it was mentioned before by other users, are not compatible with Windows 7 and should fall into a BSOD.
I even tried the Intel driver generator, version 8. Everything is useless.
Programs can't see Intel's OpenGL at all. Only a GDI renderer. Every program or game that requires it does not work.
Moreover, the Intel's driver is installed properly, including all the files responsible for OpenGL. DirectX acceleration works fine.
Who will have any opinions on the solution of the issue?
Maybe somewhere this has already been discussed, but I can not find it.

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried an opengl extension viewer to verify if your opengl is us available?
Are the opengl programs you are trying compatible with 1.3?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by esasoft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-04-24, 02:24:

Does Win7 ship a driver of its own for it? You might at least get away with the MS Warp GL D3D wrapper it provides.

No, this integrated graphics chip is too old. The most recent drivers are for Windows XP only.
Windows 7 does not have it's own driver for it.

DosFreak wrote on 2022-04-24, 13:59:

Have you tried an opengl extension viewer to verify if your opengl is us available?
Are the opengl programs you are trying compatible with 1.3?

Yes, of course, I've tried OEV, different versions. None of them can see Intel's OpenGL. Only MS software renderer.
Yes, programs that I'm trying are compatible with 1.3.

darry wrote on 2022-04-24, 12:57:

Since Direct3D works, using a third party OpenGL to Direct3D wrapper might also be an option.

Can you please suggest some good wrappers ?

Reply 7 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try the attached for 82852-82855, Tested with Dell D505 and 3000 on Vista, 2008, 7 and 2008R2 back in 2008. These are XPDM drivers that were combined by using the 6.14.10.4656 drivers that came with Vista and the Intel 6.14.10.4497 drivers. I combined them back in 2008 so that's all I remember. Not sure if I tested OGL or not but the icd is there. Try dependency walker and see if you see anything.
2gb and spinning rust with 7 isn't fun, sitting at desktop or loading an application at a time is bearable. Mabye if you used a msata drive then swapping would be more bearable. Haven't really bothered to test 7 much with my msata drive on my D505.

You'll need to manually install these drivers.

DiskId = "Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver"
Intel = "Intel Corporation"
iMGM = "Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller"
iGDGD0 = "Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
iGDGD1 = "Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
iALVD0 = "Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family"
iALVD1 = "Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family"
iLPGD0 = "Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family"
iLPGD1 = "Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family"
iCLGD0 = "Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family"
iCLGD1 = "Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family"

For OGL to GDI or D3D you can try the following but I wouldn't bother unless you had no other choice:

OGL to GDI
DarkGL
Mesa3D
TitaniumGL

OGL to D3D
GLDirect
QindieGL
TitaniumGL

Attachments

• Filename
    Vista+.7z
    File size
    2.94 MiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 9, by esasoft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak, thank you !
I'll try your driver. However, I've already tried these versions and OpenGL was not available.
This old laptop works fine under Windows 7, the only thing that is really uncomfortable to use is Internet browsing, especially sites like Youtube and other video hosting sites.

Reply 9 of 9, by esasoft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I've tried DosFreak's driver. Unfortunately, the miracle didn't happen - everything works fine, exept OpenGL 🙁
I think that the problem lies somewhere in the .inf file (OpenGL registry entries are correct for Windows XP, but not for Windows 7).
Will try to figure that out.