VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I got a brand new Rage XL PCI those ones are built nowdays classic simple PCB layout with 8MB SDRAM 32bit Samsung 60ns without any mark on the PCB and a late Rage XL chip early 2004. I understand that these may not work on very old mainboard for the voltage problem but I was expecting at least it might work on newer ones and instead while the card is indeed arrived built new with its few components, it doesn't boot on any mainboards (Socket AM2, Socket 775, Atom mini itx and even a i440BX) and the monitor doesn't get any signal. The system is on, video chip warm up, I'm wondering what it can be, maybe something is wrong with the SST bios loaded, did anyone try to flash these?
I don't have the patience to send back so far such cheap card I wonder if they even try it before shipping it.

Update: I tried with a post PCI debug card and this vga on the i440BX board having both 3,3v and 5v signal (the mainboard works with last modern USB2.0 3,3-5v PCI cards) the code where it stops (Award bios) is "4E", the 3,3v and 5v test board led are on. Reading the debug manual it says "Reboot mode under manufacturing mode. Otherwise display messages and enter setup".

Update2: I tried the old atiflash msdos tool to see if it can be detected using an AGP card as first boot and I'm lucky this time at least with the main AGP card it can let me into MSDOS and detected as ASIC ID 4752 Rage XL/XC, the flash rom is a SST39SF010 the rom size reported as 0x20000 (?).
Online I was reading about a similar old Dell Rage XL bios P/N 113-72301-101 early 2001 RAGE SDRAM BIOS also I was watching one of the the original card PCB layout ( https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/rage-xl-pci.c3167 ) that seems like a different P/N EDIT: but I suppose these were all oem cards (?). Anyway these usual cheap redesigned XL cards seems like a cost reduced version of that version without the second mosfet and with less components. I think I need to find more possible bios images to try flash on this card. Booting into Win ME with the AGP Riva 128 card as main vga, it seems like even detecting the Rage XL PCI and it even install the driver but with an AGP card as main one it crash on second boot of course with two vga I suppose it's not the best Win ME scenario but this was expected.

Thanks,
Bye

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-05-02, 18:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-05-02, 17:54:

This one works best, bought rage XL with complex board on purpose and this one worked.

Cheers,

I wish I had bought that but I knew it was the modern cheap revision. I suppose that one works better for sure considering how many more components are installed but I was wondering if the card that arrived to me (the usual PCB seen on ebay and any modern stores) has a bios problem or manufacturing problem. So flashing the bios seems like a good (and only) idea.

Reply 3 of 8, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try this https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-flashrom/
I've used it with my two Chinese Rage XL cards and it worked well, the two cards have the same BIOS but one is from 2019 and the other one is from 2021.
In this page you can download an original RageXL PCI BIOS http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/108-ati-rage-xl
But it didn't work with my cards so it isn't relevant.

Reply 4 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2022-05-02, 18:16:
You can try this https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-flashrom/ I've used it with my two Chinese Rage XL cards and it worked […]
Show full quote

You can try this https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-flashrom/
I've used it with my two Chinese Rage XL cards and it worked well, the two cards have the same BIOS but one is from 2019 and the other one is from 2021.
In this page you can download an original RageXL PCI BIOS http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/108-ati-rage-xl
But it didn't work with my cards so it isn't relevant.

Interesting did you compare the bios to check maybe where they differ in versions numbers/ID/size? Anyway are these modern bios somewhere beside the original one? Cause I think my card has the old original early 2001 bios and I wonder if considering your experience it might be the reason it doesn't boot (maybe they just installed the eeprom with the original loaded data and not customized for the simplified PCI layout). 😉

Reply 5 of 8, by AirIntake

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe it's just broken? One of the cost-reduced ATI Rage XL PCI's I purchased had a tiny bit of physical damage that severed one of the connections to the BIOS chip. Like yours it would get hot but not display anything. I managed to fix the severed connection with a bit of solder.

Casio BE-300 Advancement Society alumni

Reply 8 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some update (thanks for the link I'll try soon): I used both atiflash and flashrom tools and it seems like the original bios we talked above (that simply is a month newer version of a later a bit different P/N but supposed to be similar I imagine who knows the specific layouts/sdram memory these bios were oriented to) seems that get flashed (but in flashrom it need to be forced with the option, cause it detects something is different with memory of that bios and anyway a code error everytime, I wonder the type of config of the SDRAM module maybe?) but after the boot same thing, still NO signal but it goes after the "4E" code to "FF" and boot into Win ME (... without video card starting.. this i440BX board is incredible 😁) so the original 2001 xl pci bios just like said before cannot work too on my specific card.
But as secondary card (before the reboot installation step) it get detected by the o.s. and even install the driver by itself along with the main functional Riva 128 AGP that I need to have a vga output to work with.

I don't think it might be a damaged trace cause I would expect to not even detect the card or flash the eeprom. I would imagine a not well soldered BGA chip but I still want to think It might simply be that the original eeprom was probably on some onboard oem computer and cannot maybe just work into this design without some customization (just a theory). That would explain why that might exist newer bios versions I want to try.

Update: tried both two new bios but they didn't work too.. 🙁.. I think they are mostly the same beside the file date. But the @Hoping Rage XL card has a 2006 quite late chip with different SDRAM brand. I think each bios depending on the components might be customized beside which one. I hope this doesn't mean my card might be really broken if three bios can't work. I try to understand if maybe there's something more to try.
Also it seems that some modern Rage XL cards (at least the one I got who knows how many different combinations exists) use a 36Kb bios file instead of the original 32Kb. I think the chip supported different eeprom size 32/36/64Kbyte.. models while maybe the rest of the memory was empty.