VOGONS

Reply 40 of 51, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had much time lately to do many tests and changes with the drivers so I haven't made much progress.
I have tried all the suggested drivers and a better choice than the driver I was using is the RLTMGDbeta7.zip (OpenGL1077) driver and again I had to go with the Open GL 1094 driver as the 1077 causes some performance issues. GlQuake remains above 36fps and in Quake 2 I have not been able to measure a value that seems logical, it seems perfectly playable to me but the benchmark results in 16fps, it seems strange to me since wile playing I do not notice slowdowns of any kind.
I've added the entry for the Rage XL PCI 4752 to the inf file and I'm trying to understand how to add the necessary for the D3D and OpenGL tabs as well, with the suggested registry files it works correctly so far, so I find it very interesting to enable them in the driver installation.
As for D3D, this driver improves compatibility and performance, as a curiosity, Forsaken runs at 50+fps in 800x600, with overclock, of course. Unreal is still not playable, graphical errors and low fps rate in D3D, with OpenGL there are no graphical errors but the fps rate is still very low. Motorhead is very smooth at 800x600 and Outlaws is also very smooth at 1024x768 and now I haven't seen any graphical errors yet. I'm curious to try out Dark Forces which I think uses the same engine as Outlaws.
So thank you very much for the suggestion of the last driver, it has helped me a lot to reach my goal.
Edit, I'm beginning to have interest in 3DCIF so maybe in the future... at this moment I don't know much about it.

Reply 41 of 51, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More compatible Directx6 M6 drivers for 4752 after 4.11.2055 if anyone wants to try them out, setup driver installations does not work out of the box, manually or with added inf and setup.exe works. D3D/OpenGL menu works for M6 drivers and also when i added WinME beta or final ati2drab.dr_ to the M6 driver, needs to be checked if its working like that with clean installation also or not, add RagePro tweaker and you have more videocard options to change.

4.11.2445 (ati2drab.dr_/drv was something else, 4.11.2445 is probably desktop version, not driver)
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … driverid=r20514

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-la/drive … driverid=r20567

https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewCont … ontentId=106470

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … driverid=r20662

https://driver.ru/_102762021824b3e3abb06571dd … %82%D0%BD%D0%BE

3dcif 3d-demo inside that rage pro tweaker 1.2 i already did get to work normally with 4752 at one moment, but after new win95 installation not so lucky. I need more time to figure it out and then i can test with 3dcif Tomb Raider game, but i take it slowly, other things also to do.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 42 of 51, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tried all the drivers and apart from other small problems, the OpenGL driver is the most complicated, in several cases it does not work. As for D3D, the performance hardly varies, but the compatibility does, and a lot.
The best drivers are still the ones I already mentioned.
As for 3DCIF, I have not been able to get the demo to work at any time, bad luck. I got a new game to test, System shock 2 (1999) is more modern than what I wanted to try on this computer, and I was surprised with a minimum of 17fps, it is not playable, but I expected less.

Reply 43 of 51, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

welp, I got the Chinese ATI card and I modded it, my way.

The big 1086 (I had some kicking around and they have less noise than an lm317) is set to 2.5v (hopefully) and the little 1117 is for 3.3v. I left the little mosfet in place but I'm feeding it 2.5v from the 1086.

I'll have to clean it up a little at some point. Maybe some experimental grounding, who knows how bored I'll get.

Attachments

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 44 of 51, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My idea was to come up with a simple method to make these cards more compatible; so any method seems interesting to me, and the more affordable the better. My interest was also in overclocking, for that reason I used the 1117 with its capacitors and the xl4005 to regulate the voltage.
I'm curious about the overclock if you get to try it.

Reply 45 of 51, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure I'll try over clocking tbh.
What i am curious about is if the picture quality is any different between the card being powered with a linear regulator vs a switching one.

Switching is usually noisey, especially with cheap buck converters. I'm wondering if that effects the final picture at all.

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 46 of 51, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have good eyes for those things, I really don't know what to look for, and I have never worried too much. I didn't notice anything in the native resolution of the monitor I used (1280x1024), nor in MSDOS.
In lower resolutions it would not be valid to say that I did not notice anything since it is a TFT.
I certainly didn't play any games at native resolution for obvious reasons. 😀

Reply 47 of 51, by R-998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2022-07-10, 13:17:

My idea was to come up with a simple method to make these cards more compatible; so any method seems interesting to me, and the more affordable the better. My interest was also in overclocking, for that reason I used the 1117 with its capacitors and the xl4005 to regulate the voltage.

You may overclock this GPU without soft using change a quartz resonator from 14mhz to 16 and better

Reply 48 of 51, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
R-998 wrote on 2023-01-03, 11:01:

You may overclock this GPU without soft using change a quartz resonator from 14mhz to 16 and better

My knowledge is zero when it comes to overclocking by changing to quartz crystal, I know it can be done, but I never did it, it occurred to me to try a 24mhz crystal if I remember correctly that I took from another graphics card, and it didn't work, it wouldn't boot.

Reply 49 of 51, by R-998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2023-01-03, 11:19:
R-998 wrote on 2023-01-03, 11:01:

My knowledge is zero when it comes to overclocking by changing to quartz crystal, I know it can be done, but I never did it, it occurred to me to try a 24mhz crystal if I remember correctly that I took from another graphics card, and it didn't work, it wouldn't boot.

24mhz is too high , try 16 or 18mhz

Reply 50 of 51, by R-998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone , got and modded my chinese 4752 to work on an old system , what is the best driver for opengl under windows 95 ? And also which of the drivers is better for XP Sp1? I failed to install any driver correctly under Windows 95 except for W98_RXL_4_12_2647 , the card was defined as Xpert98 Pci,
but Opengl and Direct3d do not work with it (ogl causes the system to freeze), the RLTMGDbeta7 driver sets the card as all-in-wonder and does not allow changing the resolution , so nothing works, the card itself is working and works quite well under XP (with rather low performance, and driver wxp-ragexl-5-10-2600-6009) , please share full driver for easy install on win95. Upd. W98_RXL_4_12_2647 driver works at Direct3D on Windows 95 , but not works at Opengl , how to swap Ogl driver and where get best ogl-driver file for this ?

Reply 51 of 51, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
R-998 wrote on 2023-06-09, 15:49:

Hello everyone , got and modded my chinese 4752 to work on an old system , what is the best driver for opengl under windows 95 ? And also which of the drivers is better for XP Sp1? I failed to install any driver correctly under Windows 95 except for W98_RXL_4_12_2647 , the card was defined as Xpert98 Pci,
but Opengl and Direct3d do not work with it (ogl causes the system to freeze), the RLTMGDbeta7 driver sets the card as all-in-wonder and does not allow changing the resolution , so nothing works, the card itself is working and works quite well under XP (with rather low performance, and driver wxp-ragexl-5-10-2600-6009) , please share full driver for easy install on win95. Upd. W98_RXL_4_12_2647 driver works at Direct3D on Windows 95 , but not works at Opengl , how to swap Ogl driver and where get best ogl-driver file for this ?

Windows 95A does not support OpenGL out of the box, are you using Windows95B or C? For Rage XL PCI 4752 - also 4.12.2632 (rpro_j5111b20.zip) driver works, try it. OpenGL should work right away, just use 16bit colors @ your desktop screen, when starting the game, try it first with your working 2647 d3d driver.

What OpenGL game you did try?

For Quake/Quake2 try OpenGL 4.11.1073 and 4.12.1088 out for Windows 9x, for me 4.12.1088 is the best at the moment.
download/file.php?id=162495

Edit (how to use newer ATi Rage3 OpenGL than 4.11.1094/4.12.1094 for GLQuake)
OpenGL GLQuake fix from 4.12.1095 up to 4.12.1107 > add gl_ztrick "0" to your autoexec.cfg or open glquake console and type gl_ztrick 0

More info:
Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files