VOGONS

First post, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Not too sure what this is - but it was cheap and I was hoping to get it working with one of my many Mono, MDA, Herc cards.
Google-ing the model number makes me think it is a generic mono green phosphur. I've never heard of "Sandy" tubes before either..

It has a non-AU 3 pin power plug which is easy enough to change over and it appears to be 240V/50hz.
First thing I did when it arrived was whip off the back and see if anything was obviously damaged, bulging or infesting (bugs!) - nope, looks mostly unscathed.

Before turning it on I'd like to do some checks, tests but have never really thought about CRT's before.
Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for or test before safely switching this baby on?

I've also tried calling some local "electricians" in my area but not getting anything other than a long pause and sometimes a laugh.. 😀

Attachments

• IMG_6178.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6178.jpg
    File size
    96.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6182.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6182.jpg
    File size
    136.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6179.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6179.jpg
    File size
    13.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6180.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6180.jpg
    File size
    263.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_6177.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6177.JPG
    File size
    87.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 2 of 3, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
4xtx wrote on 2022-05-10, 05:36:

Before turning it on I'd like to do some checks, tests but have never really thought about CRT's before.
Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for or test before safely switching this baby on?

If the previous owner has already tested the monitor, then you can try to turn it on, but if the power has not been applied to it for more than 15 years, then there is a chance that the dielectric layer in the capacitors has partially dissolved in the electrolyte. If a high voltage was to be applied to the capacitor in such a condition, it would just short out. I'd be most concerned about the ~400V PSU and ~160V B+ caps.

Google "capacitor reforming" to learn more about this topic and how to prevent catastrophic shorts.

4xtx wrote on 2022-05-10, 05:36:

I've also tried calling some local "electricians" in my area but not getting anything other than a long pause and sometimes a laugh.. 😀

I'd bet they would be stumped upon receiving such a device 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SSTV2 wrote on 2022-05-10, 12:36:

Google "capacitor reforming" to learn more about this topic and how to prevent catastrophic shorts.

Thanks! This is the type of thing I was thinking about 😀

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions