VOGONS

First post, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Matrox G450 I'd like to use on my P200 Windows 95 machine.

Matrox still distributes the drivers, and says that 6.23 is the latest driver for Windows 95
https://www.matrox.com/cs/video/apps/drivers/ … perating_system

On a fresh install of Windows 95 OSR2.5, these drivers fail to detect the G450 as supported. This is the case whether I run the setup.exe or Add New Hardware.

However, the later 6.82 and 6.83 drivers for Windows 98(run under Win95) do detect the G450 and install without complaint. Sadly, these drivers are pretty glitchy, which makes sense on an unsupported OS.

Any ideas on how to get the Windows 95 drivers to detect this card and install? Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote on 2022-05-10, 18:07:
I have a Matrox G450 I'd like to use on my P200 Windows 95 machine. […]
Show full quote

I have a Matrox G450 I'd like to use on my P200 Windows 95 machine.

Matrox still distributes the drivers, and says that 6.23 is the latest driver for Windows 95
https://www.matrox.com/cs/video/apps/drivers/ … perating_system

On a fresh install of Windows 95 OSR2.5, these drivers fail to detect the G450 as supported. This is the case whether I run the setup.exe or Add New Hardware.

However, the later 6.82 and 6.83 drivers for Windows 98(run under Win95) do detect the G450 and install without complaint. Sadly, these drivers are pretty glitchy, which makes sense on an unsupported OS.

Any ideas on how to get the Windows 95 drivers to detect this card and install? Thanks

Did you install DirectX 7 before installing the video card drivers? In some cases, video- and sound card drivers will fail to install if no DirectX is present. On Win98SE, you have DirectX 6.1 installed by default. Windows 95 doesn't come with any version of DX out-of-box, if I recall correctly.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 3 of 6, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote on 2022-05-11, 13:48:
leonardo wrote on 2022-05-10, 18:14:

Did you install DirectX 7 before installing the video card drivers?

I had not, but I gave it a shot. Still nothing.

Maybe you have some rare revised/upgraded revision of the card and the older driver is missing the device IDs for it? Have you checked the contents of the .inf file for the older driver vs. the Windows 98-compatible driver to see if there are any differences?

Can you share a pic of the card itself?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 4 of 6, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for this, my card is the "DVI" variant which wasn't found in the INF file in 6.23.

Interestingly, I looked at the G450 CD found on Vogonsdrivers. It has an earlier 6.03 driver but it's INF file does contain the DVI card.

I'll try that driver, but meanwhile I determined that the glitches are a hardware problem. I installed 98SE and tried the officially compatible drivers and still get glitches. This board is overclocked to 75MHz which might be the actual problem. That'll take some tinkering to check.

Reply 6 of 6, by Gelip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Hatta
I have the Matrox Millennium Dualhead DVI + VGA card and works well in Win95 with the 1920x1080 monitor but only via the VGA - VGA cable with a 6.23 driver but I had to manually adjust the Monitor Settings (PowerStrip helped me):

1920x1080.png
Filename
1920x1080.png
File size
10.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Adjust_Display_Mode.png
Filename
Adjust_Display_Mode.png
File size
75.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
karta.png
Filename
karta.png
File size
7 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Monitor_Settings.png
Filename
Monitor_Settings.png
File size
53.44 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PowerStrip_FullHD.png
Filename
PowerStrip_FullHD.png
File size
10.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I changed the cable and try via DVI-HDMI cable with the w9x_682.exe (Matrox Millennium G450 DualHead DVI PCI) driver but the monitor does not want to turn on - it only works with the Standard PCI Win95 driver.

P.S. I have a Remote Administrator running and it can be set up in it up to 1920x1080 but the monitor does not react ???

I also tried the 682 Digital First Millennium G450 32D driver but it doesn't help either 🙁