VOGONS

First post, by Irina060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this Acer Travelmate 529atxv pentium iii 900mhz around 3 months ago at a local shop, in a pretty dusty corner. Got it for 20€ and proceeded to install windows xp. It worked okaish so I maxed the ram to 512mb and added an ssd (long story). Performanced didnt increase much, directx 9 worked horribly and most games wouldnt launch. I tried some Imperium games, some Age of Empires, but results were mediocre. I tried windows 7 and games worked worse. Then I tried Antix linux, managed to get youtube working, nice google browsing and all the good stuff. Games tho... not so much, opengl in linux was detect as 4.x (although the ghaphics card is only compatible with up to 1.2). Some simple 2D games like pinball worked but I dont want to stick to pinball. Now, I love this laptop, a lot, and although a ton of people told me it wouldnt even handle internet browsing, I tried to my best to prove them wrong. For the last month I have ventured myself in an epic quest to make minecraft work. Why minecraft? Well... I saw a video on youtube of a guy playing on a pentium iii which my laptop has. And I thought it would be cool. I barely played minecraft, not big fan, but it is a nice experiment. So far, minecraft 1.5.2 in Antix got me at least to the title screen at 0'5fps but the game wont recognise mouse inputs so I cant get past the title. Windows xp, 7, server 2003 throw a bad video card or whatever error, maybe because opengl is not properly recognised... I would appreciate some guidance 😀
(Also first post, didnt know where to post this, hopefully this is the right place)

Reply 1 of 16, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You try much too new Stuff on this Machine..

Minecraft 🤣, not sure what you expect from a "Windows 98 / 2000 Class Notebook" with Business Graphics.
Your CPU is way too slow for MC. Also your Graphics Card.

The M1 hardly does any 3D.
It does not even support DirectX 9.0, its a DirectX 6.0 Class Chip.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 16, by Irina060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, its old, slow and barely does 3D, but why not I mean, I got to a title screen that surely means something. And in theory old MC could work with opengl 1.2 if Im not wrong. I might be stretching the capabilities of this laptop but Im having fun and learning a ton. I just need a little something I havent figured out yet

Reply 3 of 16, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, you're expecting far too much from this laptop, I've got a Thinkpad X21 and I also used to have a Thinkpad A22M with that chip but with 4mb of vram and yeah, game compatibility can be slim pickings. A lot of the stuff I've got on my Tuala-Bus rig in my sig can barely run on here at all.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 4 of 16, by Irina060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This chip is not powerful at all and barely has memory to run age appropriate games but being 8mb of vram it can still do something. For example, I also had a toshiba portege 3440ct with only 128mb of ram, pentium iii at 500mhz and a S3 Savage graphics which is also 8mb of vram, minecraft did run on that (badly but did run). Not really sure why the toshiba laptop could deal with the game but this acer one cannot

Reply 5 of 16, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Irina060 wrote on 2022-05-15, 18:23:

This chip is not powerful at all and barely has memory to run age appropriate games but being 8mb of vram it can still do something. For example, I also had a toshiba portege 3440ct with only 128mb of ram, pentium iii at 500mhz and a S3 Savage graphics which is also 8mb of vram, minecraft did run on that (badly but did run). Not really sure why the toshiba laptop could deal with the game but this acer one cannot

The Savage may've had a more powerful core or better drivers, these early Rage chips are trash from a driver and core perspective.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 6 of 16, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure what guidance you're asking for. The Rage M1 is the laptop equivalent to the desktop Rage Pro, a fairly mediocre if not lower-end chip back in 1997-1998, it's not even as fast as the Voodoo 1 and OpenGL support mostly an afterthought. The CPU is very fast for this particular chip, so at least it will allow you to run some newer 2D games just fine, but as far as 3D accelerated games go, I'd say you'd be okay at 640x480 for games released in 1997 and somewhat less so in 1998. 1999 would be stretching it for some titles (although it can run Quake 3!) and 2000 is where you'll see a lot of titles refusing to run on this chip. My suggestion is to install Win98SE, grab appropriate drivers and play period-correct games.

Reply 7 of 16, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're expecting too much from that graphics card. Back in the day I used a Dell laptop with the same Ati Rage Mobility and Windows 98. It could only run late 90's DirectX6 games like Half Life or Unreal at an acceptable level.

In year 2000 games like Need for Speed Porsche it already struggled and I had to use low settings and low resolution. When I tried even later games like No One Lives Forever or Max Payne, it was a buggy mess with barely playable performance and sometimes incorrect rendering. To make things worse, Ati did not provide any updated drivers for the laptop graphics, and instead I had to hope that Dell would release new drivers, which they rarely did.

That whole experience convinced me to build a desktop gaming PC and never bother with gaming on laptops again.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 8 of 16, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irina060 wrote on 2022-05-15, 17:47:

Yep, its old, slow and barely does 3D, but why not I mean, I got to a title screen that surely means something. And in theory old MC could work with opengl 1.2 if Im not wrong. I might be stretching the capabilities of this laptop but Im having fun and learning a ton. I just need a little something I havent figured out yet

It doesnt even run well on GeForce 2/4.

So far, minecraft 1.5.2 in Antix got me at least to the title screen at 0'5fps

On Linux on your M1 Chip it will run on Software Emulation (OpenGL) / llvmpipe.
The Rage M1 has no Hardware DRI Driver for OpenGL on Linux..
Infact there is only a Driver for 2.6.18 and older kernels, and it never left alpha stage.
You can handcompile it and get some DRI accelration.
But its prone to fail.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090314061810/ht … st_results.html

i run MC 1.7.10 on Athlon XP-M 1900Mhz with 2Gb RAM, HD3450 512Mb AGP and Windows XP.
The CPU is limiting it.
Its very playable, but in some Areas with many Mobs and intense Action... it drops to single digit fps.

-
The Rage M1 sucks.
It can playback DVD and show Spreadsheets.
Thats what it made for.

Even a Intel i810 has better Performance.
It even plays Q3.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 9 of 16, by Irina060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is sad that ati didnt support this card the way it should. Thanks for the link, I will try and compile it and come back with results as soon as possible. I guess I had really high hopes for this laptop, Im conflicted cuz I really like it tho haha
I mean there are other options which are more famous like the ibm thinkpads which tend to have better results. I was offered a t23 for 50€ the other day, I may just accept it as it is better overall and still a P3 which is what I really like

Reply 10 of 16, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Dell Latitude L400 with Rage Mobility M. Great laptop but not much for games. It could run Warcraft III at 640x480 but it was a bit choppy.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 11 of 16, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irina060 wrote on 2022-05-15, 23:15:

It is sad that ati didnt support this card the way it should. Thanks for the link, I will try and compile it and come back with results as soon as possible. I guess I had really high hopes for this laptop, Im conflicted cuz I really like it tho haha
I mean there are other options which are more famous like the ibm thinkpads which tend to have better results. I was offered a t23 for 50€ the other day, I may just accept it as it is better overall and still a P3 which is what I really like

Well if you grab a P3 watch out it has at least a Radeon mobility.

50€ already buys some core i5
I rather would buy something newer.
Pentium M with Radeon 9700 Mobile or something that will still run 9x.

Reply 12 of 16, by Irina060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We yeah, thing is I already have a nice i7 laptop. Im interested in P3s as a hobby, to see how far I can push a system. This T23 has a S3 SuperSavage/IXC AGP 4x 16mb vram which should be a nice improvement right?

Reply 13 of 16, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's definitely a faster and more feature rich card, closer to the Rage 128 non-Pro or Riva TNT or TNT2 M64 and Voodoo2, perhaps slightly faster? Ideally kept at 640x480, if the CPU is fast enough you can do 60fps in a lot of titles from 1997-1998, perhaps even 1999. The one major issue I can think of is driver support, S3's drivers were not exactly top of the line, so expect issues with OpenGL titles and perhaps even older D3D drivers (the chip is from 2001 I believe, even though it is based on technology from 1998). If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, I don't think you can go wrong. And if you change your mind, that Thinkpad T23 will not lose its value in time.

Reply 14 of 16, by Irina060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Considering my minecraft experiment and my love for benchmarking (and previous success with minecraft on the toshiba portege 3440ct with a weaker S3) I will adquire the t23 laptop, make some benchmarks and post something later on. S3 Supersavage is not a card many people seem to know, barely any info online which is kinda exciting. Any info about opengl compatibility will be appreciated and if you know of a thread here that would benefic of this laptop benchmarks I will happily post the results when the laptop arrives 😀

Reply 16 of 16, by Irina060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From what I've seen thats not bad I believe. In some benchmarks I've seen online it is not much worse than an ati rage 128. Also those extra 8mb of vram will benefit some games I tried in the Acer laptop. Hopefully compatibility and performance will at least be better than ati rage m1