VOGONS

First post, by Scirocco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I have Sapphire Radeon HD3650 AGP versions. I am looking for drivers for this card under Windows 98. Have any of you used this card under this system?

Reply 3 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No drivers means no drivers exist. But you're free to try backporting Linux opensource AMD drivers to Win9x. Have fun.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-05-29, 18:31. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 12, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scirocco wrote on 2022-05-29, 18:10:

There are no reference drivers for sure. And OMEGA drivers? Or maybe the drivers for WinME or XP will work on W9SE?

WinME drivers also don’t exist AFAIK, as they are typically the same bundle as Win9x.

WinXP drivers won’t work on 9x as the driver architecture is completely different.

Reply 5 of 12, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-29, 18:20:

No drivers means no drivers exist. But you're free to try backporting Linux opensource AMD drivers to Win9x. Have fun.

that would be awesome if possible...

Reply 6 of 12, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think a radeon 3850 on win9x is unnecessary. You wouldn't get any benefit from this card. It's like using a Porsche to help a little candle cross the street (with the old lady outside the car) In my opinion you should have a GF4 Ti or something

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 7 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote on 2022-05-30, 17:24:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-29, 18:20:

that would be awesome if possible...

Should be possible but would be a ton of work. A lot of absent functions would probably have to be written from scratch.

Guessing that the Linux code would basically be a strating point to see how stuff worked.

As someone who used to try to keep a version of a program able to be cross compiled for Windows and Linux, I dropped the Linux part when I rewrote a large part of the program and because it took so much extra work to make it work for both Windows and Linux, I dropped the Linux compatibility.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last ATI cards supported under Windows 98 are the Radeon x300/x600/x700/x800/x850 (and their AGP equivalents) using Catalyst 6.2 . The 3600 series is 3 generations newer .

Backporting Linux opensource AMD drivers to Win9x is certainly not impossible, but there is little likelihood that someone would commit the considerable time and energy required to complete such an endeavour when there are multiple other cards available that have working Windows 9x drivers already.

Reply 9 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I had time, I would do it. What's a little rebuilding a whole driver from the ground up?

Not like I haven't been given horrid messes of programs before that I rewrote from scratch. No, I'm not bitter at all about any of those. Not one bit.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 12, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-31, 04:34:

If I had time, I would do it. What's a little rebuilding a whole driver from the ground up?

Not like I haven't been given horrid messes of programs before that I rewrote from scratch. No, I'm not bitter at all about any of those. Not one bit.

Well if you ever pull it off, free beer from me, and others I'm sure!