VOGONS

Reply 40 of 51, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Becareful with ceramic SMD caps, if they're at -10°c or lower they may short.
Just read about this in a magazine..
The article was about aged SMD caps, they may short, too.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 51, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't know that, -10ºC is not as low as I was thinking, based on the recommendation in my freezer manual which is the -18ºC I mentioned. It's interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

Reply 42 of 51, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh dear, I've never said "solid frozen" just long enough till the glue gets hard enough to come off more easily.
At the current temperatures (around 30 degree centigrade) the glue just smears like chewing gum.

... and, when I remember well, this pocedure is also recommended when you want to remove an GPU cooler that is glued on with thermal compound e.g. like it was on the Voodoo cards.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 43 of 51, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have also read that they do that with voodoo graphics cards, for me it is more of a bad feeling than an experience.
I use acetone to soften the glue and then do a full wash on the graphics card.
But, neither my method nor the cold method are 100% reliable, I have also read of some accident with the voodoos and I was not always able to remove the heatsink easily using acetone, in some cases I preferred to give up.

Reply 44 of 51, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just got the GTX 460 Hawk but I suspect it is a 1st gen ., if you know what I mean ... - any hint how to update the bios and where to get the "latest" bios for this card.

IMG_20220622_152527 (SVGA).jpg
Filename
IMG_20220622_152527 (SVGA).jpg
File size
172.1 KiB
Views
File comment
GTX 460 Hawk, Front
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
IMG_20220622_152516 (SVGA).jpg
Filename
IMG_20220622_152516 (SVGA).jpg
File size
199.02 KiB
Views
File comment
GTX 460 Hawk, Rear
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
Last edited by ildonaldo on 2022-06-22, 13:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 45 of 51, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

... as an alternative to the GTX 460, I am still working to refurbish the Radeon HD 5850 but it still needs some care 😉
But I guess, I have to remove the middle, upper two heat spreaders to make way for the heatpipes of the custom arctic cooler (see posting) - any recommendations how to deal* with that?

IMG_20220620_192601 (SVGA).jpg
Filename
IMG_20220620_192601 (SVGA).jpg
File size
220.9 KiB
Views
File comment
Refurbishing a HD 5850 ...
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

* are the heat sinks neccessary at all, If I don't overclock the card?

Reply 46 of 51, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2022-06-22, 13:32:

I've just got the GTX 460 Hawk but I suspect it is a 1st gen ., if you know what I mean ... - any hint how to update the bios and where to get the "latest" bios for this card.

Just curious, what is wrong that it actually needs a BIOS update.

Reply 47 of 51, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2022-06-22, 15:01:

Just curious, what is wrong that it actually needs a BIOS update.

The first "Release" of the GTX 460 (in 2011) wasn't compatible with Windows 7 and had mayor problems with the new OS - but the later models didn't.
Back then (some years later*) I've been forced to upgrade to a GTX 760, because of that vital flaw, after abandoning XP 🙁

DSCF0339 (SVGA).JPG
Filename
DSCF0339 (SVGA).JPG
File size
199.45 KiB
Views
File comment
PC Hardware 2011
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

* hadn't been able to find a proper solution for that problem (back then) 🙁

Reply 48 of 51, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like to max out my retro systems - the mobo supports crossfire, how about to engage two Radeon HD 5850?
Will a 650W PSU support it with the rest of the HW?
Will it anyway be worth to bother, with the microstutter to expect?

Reply 49 of 51, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope. You can mix AMD and Nvidia for ultimate PhysX setup though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 50 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ildonaldo wrote on 2022-06-08, 15:54:

What would you choose?

Personally I'd pick either a HD5670, HD6670 or a HD6850 because that's what I already have.

From the cards from your list I'd probably go with the one which is the most silent.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 51 of 51, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to stay striktly period correct (I have some of these named cards here in stock).
e.g. for a y2k-PC I'd rather use only parts produced in 2000 than someting else ... if possible. 😉