VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen photos and watched YouTube videos of people's Matrox G200 and see that it can render games like Quake and Unreal properly. But I have all kinds of problems.

I am using the latest driver version 6.83.017 with Windows 98.

Here are some photos. Unreal is missing lighting and shadows and lags, Quake 1 (OpenGL) is missing textures on my gun and mobs, Quake 2 won't display at all (display mode error from my monitor), Quake 3 can load the menu but runs at about 1 fps.

3D Mark 99 runs fine at about 30 FPS. This is a DirectX 6 test, so it should be a good indicator of compatibility and performance.

Much older games for DirectX 3 and 5 also seem to render fine (Incoming, Moto Racer, Final Fantasy 7/8). But a lot of other DirectX and OpenGL games are very broken.

What's up with this?

20220612_154436_resize_64.jpg
Filename
20220612_154436_resize_64.jpg
File size
282.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220612_154942_resize_44.jpg
Filename
20220612_154942_resize_44.jpg
File size
148.84 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220612_154643_resize_16.jpg
Filename
20220612_154643_resize_16.jpg
File size
72.59 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-06-13, 00:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The issue with Quake 3 was that it had been configured too high fot another card. Setting to to 640x480 and lower tender options made it playable.

OpenGL issues with GL Quake and Quake 2 were solved by using the OpenGL ICD from the previous driver release version 6.82.016.

I still have issues with the card sometimes using some kind of output that my LCD doesn't like on the VGA connector at some resolutions. This can often lead to the necessity of a hard reset, as I've lost all video and can't get it back with an alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del.

Overall, I would say that this card is "fine", once it has been tweaked and configured correctly. It needs a lot of hand holding to get everything right before it will behave. And even then you need to keep an eye on it, because it's a spoiled little child video card and and might throw a tantrum at any moment.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-11-05, 22:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 'Cannot Display This Video Mode'-error is likely caused by the video card trying to push a refresh rate that your monitor can't handle. Be sure to go over the settings for different resolutions in Windows' Display Properties and set the default (rather than optimal) refresh rate for different resolutions and color depths if you don't have a monitor driver installed and those are the only two options you get.

Quake probably needs to have some renderer options set via console (~) or in the default config, it wasn't that uncommon that you'd need special settings depending on your video card.

Unreal/Unreal Tournament also have quite terrible OpenGL out-of-box. For Unreal, I think OpenGL 2.1.0.6 was the one that worked on Win9x for TNT2 and older video cards with OpenGL). For UT, this is the one I think you want.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 4 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fun fact - the first Direct3D renderer for Unreal was a beta made for the G200. 😁

D3D is probably the best way to play it on a G200.

UT needs the multi texturing disabled too.

Reply 5 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-12, 20:53:

Disabling multitexturing fixes the lighting problem with Unreal. I'm still searching for a fix for OpenGL.

That seems a bit odd as the G200 does not even support multi-texturing, AFAIK. Maybe it's a driver bug ?

I won't be trying anytime as my only G200 variant is integrated into my Dell r710 server which I need for other, non-gaming, uses .

Reply 6 of 14, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a Matrox G200 integrated onboard my Socket G34 server motherboard as well, is currently in use, and has been for years. Running Linux of course, not Windows 98. 😀

https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/ … 6x0/H8DGi-F.cfm

Reply 7 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-12, 21:23:

OpenGL issues with GL Quake and Quake 2 we're solved by using the OpenGL ICD from the previous driver release version 6.82.016.

As far as I know the best OpenGL ICD for G200 is actually found in the G400 driver pack, funnily enough..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah that G200 ICD included with the G400 drivers has some bug fixes and they never bothered to package it into a new set of G200 drivers. G200 was not really supported anymore.

batracio wrote on 2010-11-13, 07:27:

Many years ago, I posted about that G200 transparency bug on Matrox tech support forum, a bug report was raised and problem was eventually fixed, but oddly enough, Matrox only released the updated G200 OpenGL ICD inside G400 Windows XP driver. You can still download xp2k_596_004.exe archive, expand g200icd.dll file and use it under Windows 95, 98, 2K and XP with fixed transparency and other improvements.

Reply 10 of 14, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried the g200icd.dll ICD from the XP driver and it works great. I didn't ever see an issue with transparency, and didn't notice anything different after swapping it out. But I'm sure that I just didn't have a proper example to test with.

This card is definitely a solid pick for early DirectX (up to version 5), and the final OpenGL implementation is solid. It's a shame that it took Matrox so many years to get it all ironed out.

On a side note, the G200 is also the last PCI Matrox card to support Windows 3.1. while there is driver support for the G400, I've never seen one in PCI form.

I've read that the G450 is very similar to the G400. I wonder if it would work if the G400 drivers?

Reply 11 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake 2's water is opaque without that OpenGL driver. One example. But that wasn't always a problem. It was a regression that happened at some point and nobody noticed I guess.

Reply 12 of 14, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know how/if the better 400 driver works with the server 'e' and 'ew' versions. I think they are 16MB, or so. I wonder if unused ones would be worth vfio passing to a vm?

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 13 of 14, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a very good question. If it is possible to get it to pass through, it would be amazing, since there are drivers for Windows 3.1 and up, with very reasonable DirectX and OpenGL support.

The same question could be asked about server motherboard which have a Rage XL chip. Lots of good support there, although not as capable as the G200.

Reply 14 of 14, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-14, 02:16:

That's a very good question.

Your right, broad early support.
Ok, I'll try someday. In my rotation of use is my X8 XP, I think I used 5.82 for XP and leave it disabled in XP with a full card as primary. As the boot gpu, linux used it and passed the slotted gpu. Never tried reversing it...
I need some fiddle time...the OS graduated to this computer, and does not have IOMMU group listing it...ok let me see what I can do, it'll take awhile. I have record of the bus, G200eW WPCM450, and a record of the mode line for 1920x1080.
Interesting

What keeps me from earlier than XP vm's is the acpi or lack of that pegs a core for no reason...

I used to know what I was doing...