VOGONS

First post, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having a lot of issues ( well really one issue) and i'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm trying to get my 970 to work under XP following this guide. https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidi … 980-ti-titan-x/. I've tried it with both 368.81 (which is the newest XP drivers nVidia and I tried 359.06 which is the exact version used in the guide. Also, tried installing without nView but everything results in the same issue, blank screen after installing the driver and rebooting the machine. It will show the XP splash screen and a little of the loading bar but then the machine drops video out and my monitor shows no signal. The machine stays powered on but i'm unsure if the machine is locked up or if WInXP loaded and i'm just not getting any video out. I've tried every video output on the 970 with them all having no video signal, only thing I haven't tried is a DVI to VGA dongle and a VGA monitor as I don't have one of them adapters. I have the integrated GPU disabled in bios. The 970 itself is fully functional under Win10. Here is a screenshot of the modifications I made to nv4_dispi.inf ECLfORy.jpg, not sure what could be wrong in here since the driver will install fine, just don't get any video. Only thing I can think of is this is a fresh WinXP install, nothing but motherboard drivers installed, I really don't think you need Direct X or something like that to just get video out but I guess I could be wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you are using either DVI or displayport.
Boot into vga mode and set a low resolution like 800x600 with 60hz
See if you can boot into Windows.
If you are using a gsync or freesync monitor that has a high maximum refreshrate then install and use refreshlock to limit your max refreshrate to a lower value, otherwise you'll have black screens when XP attempts to use the higher refresh rate.

If you want scaling then use the 355.98 drivers. You can use the Geforce Experience and audio drivers from 368.81 if you want, just replace the 368.81 "display.driver" folder with the equivalent 355.98 folder and install.
If you don't want care about scaling then 368.81 can be used. The 368.91 drivers can be used as well.

If you want to use Nvidia Profile Inspector then v1.9.6.6 works.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by porschemad911

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What monitor are you using?

I have used both 368.81 and 355.98 driver versions successfully with a 980 Ti in Windows XP. I mainly used the DVI input on a 60hz 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, but DisplayPort did also get a signal OK when I briefly tried it.

Reply 4 of 4, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-06-13, 15:51:
Make sure you are using either DVI or displayport. Boot into vga mode and set a low resolution like 800x600 with 60hz See if you […]
Show full quote

Make sure you are using either DVI or displayport.
Boot into vga mode and set a low resolution like 800x600 with 60hz
See if you can boot into Windows.
If you are using a gsync or freesync monitor that has a high maximum refreshrate then install and use refreshlock to limit your max refreshrate to a lower value, otherwise you'll have black screens when XP attempts to use the higher refresh rate.

If you want scaling then use the 355.98 drivers. You can use the Geforce Experience and audio drivers from 368.81 if you want, just replace the 368.81 "display.driver" folder with the equivalent 355.98 folder and install.
If you don't want care about scaling then 368.81 can be used. The 368.91 drivers can be used as well.

If you want to use Nvidia Profile Inspector then v1.9.6.6 works.

You had it right! I dunno how hours on google didn't have the answerer but you did. Also saved me a ton of time going through drivers to find what one gave me display scaling. Can't thank you enough!