VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

I read a lot about CRTs, and here obviously I can find a lot, in this great forum.

But I didn't want to answer to old threads cause I didn't think it's the best solution for asking an answer.

Going to the point: I have a nice Viewsonic G90f+ 19" inch monitor (18.1" viewable) but I think its lamps are going to die. I tried adjusting the trimmer inside de cover, but situation lightly better, but a strange whistle comes from the transformer.

I found, near my home an Eizo Flexscan T57s, a 17" inch monitor with a viewable area of 15.9" inch. I know that this monitor is a professional monitor, with a Tension Mask (Aperture Grill) feature, but I'm quite annoyed for the viewing dimension. I always loved the big screen, and I don't want to take this monitor and remain sad.

What you can say about that, who have a kind advice to me?
Image quality and refresh will be lot better on Eizo than the Viewsonic? At my side, you will use that Viewsonic over or would you change for the Eizo? I found that Eizo for around 100bucks.

Tell me what to do, thanks a lot guys.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 15, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biessea wrote on 2022-06-20, 11:48:

...but I'm quite annoyed for the viewing dimension. I always loved the big screen, and I don't want to take this monitor and remain sad.

Are you saying you'll be sad because the Eizo is smaller in size..? I'd take a smaller CRT with better image quality any day. Most consumer CRTs had such poor image quality that you bought a big one just to be able to read the damn text at a higher resolution.

...or to put it another way, I think having a 19" CRT and having to bring the resolution down to 1024x768 or 800x600 is a travesty. Of course your video card will also play a part in how good the image on the monitor will be. You'll want to steer clear of some cheaper cards with bad analog output quality.

Eizo is legendary, but I would still want to see the tube with my own eyes before coughing up $100, just to make sure it hasn't been abused.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 15, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2022-06-20, 20:56:
Are you saying you'll be sad because the Eizo is smaller in size..? I'd take a smaller CRT with better image quality any day. Mo […]
Show full quote
biessea wrote on 2022-06-20, 11:48:

...but I'm quite annoyed for the viewing dimension. I always loved the big screen, and I don't want to take this monitor and remain sad.

Are you saying you'll be sad because the Eizo is smaller in size..? I'd take a smaller CRT with better image quality any day. Most consumer CRTs had such poor image quality that you bought a big one just to be able to read the damn text at a higher resolution.

...or to put it another way, I think having a 19" CRT and having to bring the resolution down to 1024x768 or 800x600 is a travesty. Of course your video card will also play a part in how good the image on the monitor will be. You'll want to steer clear of some cheaper cards with bad analog output quality.

Eizo is legendary, but I would still want to see the tube with my own eyes before coughing up $100, just to make sure it hasn't been abused.

Understood thanks.

I will use the tube with a Creative Banshee mainly..

I have to prefer connecting the tube through the RGB cable? (or something like that, I show you that cable in attachment).

The user say the monitor is in mint state and it's used very few.
I have various photos bout it, I put here se you can see and advice me better.

Attachments

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 3 of 15, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own an Eizo T766, basically a bigger and younger nephew of this monitor. I think they are awesome displays. It doesn't really matter what kind of connection you use, both will be fine. The monitor looks really good on these photos, but leonardo is right, for 100 bucks you should see it running from a cold start to make sure it's fine.

Reply 4 of 15, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismes wrote on 2022-06-22, 10:20:

I own an Eizo T766, basically a bigger and younger nephew of this monitor. I think they are awesome displays. It doesn't really matter what kind of connection you use, both will be fine. The monitor looks really good on these photos, but leonardo is right, for 100 bucks you should see it running from a cold start to make sure it's fine.

Hey there, here I am..

I decided to spend that 100bucks and bought it!

This evening I will have time to try it, or perhaps tomorrow. I am so excited.
I was thinking to put the Viewsonic G90f+ and the Eizo next and see the different image quality with a Matrom G400 Dual Head.
What do you think?

I put on attachment the monitor as I have it just now!

Attachments

Love beer, too.

Reply 6 of 15, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
biessea wrote on 2022-06-23, 10:38:
Hey there, here I am.. […]
Show full quote

Hey there, here I am..

I was thinking to put the Viewsonic G90f+ and the Eizo next and see the different image quality with a Matrom G400 Dual Head.
What do you think?

No risk, no fun. Good luck with this one, I hope the tube is still decent. Comparing the two with a dual head card sounds like a good idea, looking forward to your results.

Reply 7 of 15, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismes wrote on 2022-06-23, 10:59:
biessea wrote on 2022-06-23, 10:38:
Hey there, here I am.. […]
Show full quote

Hey there, here I am..

What do you think?

No risk, no fun. Good luck with this one, I hope the tube is still decent. Comparing the two with a dual head card sounds like a good idea, looking forward to your results.

...and if you do detect a difference between the monitors, also be sure to swap between the outputs to rule out any differences between them (although, with Matrox the secondary output is supposed to be just as good as the primary).

Reply 8 of 15, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take some pics of that beauty running some dos games please!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 9 of 15, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
buckeye wrote on 2022-06-23, 17:40:

Take some pics of that beauty running some dos games please!

I will do Tomorrow! I promise! 😀

Love beer, too.

Reply 10 of 15, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uff, I think I got a not so-good monitor.

I tried for two days, with different systems (radeon 9100 and matrox g400) and in Windows 98se ambient, when I go over 1024x768 I find the fonts little blurry, not so sharp like I was expecting for a monitor of that importance.

What can be the problem? Simply the 20 years old normal degrading?

Or can I try to do something to make better viewing quality?

Tell me please, I'm quite disappointed.

The user that sold me the CRT are disappointed too cause he said that the monitor had always a great quality of image.

Love beer, too.

Reply 11 of 15, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Viewsonic is not that that good quality.

Eizo tend to be ok if model is quality specific.

Keep looking. PS: Try to get monitor with .28mm dot pitch, they tend to be good looking but it depends on CRT quality, motherboard in it quality and how much age on CRT's.
The ones that is consistent tend to be brand like Samsung, NEC, not Sony.

How does it look at 640x480, 800x600, both at 75Hz, 6oHz?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 12 of 15, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biessea wrote on 2022-06-26, 14:58:
Uff, I think I got a not so-good monitor. […]
Show full quote

Uff, I think I got a not so-good monitor.

I tried for two days, with different systems (radeon 9100 and matrox g400) and in Windows 98se ambient, when I go over 1024x768 I find the fonts little blurry, not so sharp like I was expecting for a monitor of that importance.

What can be the problem? Simply the 20 years old normal degrading?

Or can I try to do something to make better viewing quality?

Tell me please, I'm quite disappointed.

The user that sold me the CRT are disappointed too cause he said that the monitor had always a great quality of image.

Even the connecting cable can play into the quality of the image when you're using analogue gear. Try swapping the VGA-cable and see if that makes a difference.

Also, even some more modest monitors sometimes have many controls for the image besides the basic ones (brightness/contrast, location, width/height) that can make a huge difference for legibility with small fonts and and high-resolution viewing.

A pretty good indicator you may have such a control is if its adjustment doesn't immediately appear to do anything. I've found - for example - that the different moire adjustments don't necessarily show unless you set a solid background color or pattern, etc.

I don't recall what all of these were called, but there are some adjustments besides the ones that would be obviously labeled that can alter the perceived softness of the image. It's also a part of the pre-digital age with these things, to get the most out of them you would have to tune the monitor to the video card etc. In the era of the flatscreen, we're mostly used to doing nothing. Some professionals might do color calibration with special tools, but that's hardly what I image most Vogoners would do - be they CRT- or LCD users.

Reply 13 of 15, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will try to swap the vga cable with the one that I use now with my samsung 214t 4:3 lcd monitor.

This Eizo model is a professional-quality monitor, the Flexscan t57s is a sony-technology with the Mask.

This is why I was expecting great sharpness even if high resolutions.. And for now I am quite sad.

Love beer, too.

Reply 14 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Focus voltage will drift over time and you can improve sharpness by readjusting focus pots on the flyback transformer in the monitor but how much you can improve is not probably gonna be a huge amount. It is 0.25mm dot pitch monitor and 17" which is not really a combination that lends well to crisp high resolutions.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 15 of 15, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Larger the CRT is, dot pitch is more important are because larger CRT tends to have even higher resolutions. Even on 14", .28 mm dot pitch even at low resolution looked nicer and bit sharper. It has to do with the quality of motherboard that processes the signal counts the most. Ditto to cable and to some degree video card's. I had seen large dot pitch look poorer.

I had personally seen generic monitors old and new do badly back in the day on tail end of CRT era, when I started working in 2003 at electronics repair shop back then. Even sometimes a cheap CRT looked terrible as they were reused from low spec designs or designed poorly that it actually limited the bandwidth of dot clock sent through the CRT.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.