VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am thinking about finally buying an OSSC. Has anyone tried using an OSSC with a Freesync Premium Pro display and use it in MS-DOS? If so, how was it? I am hoping that I can get 70Hz.

Scythifuge

Reply 2 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-06-24, 18:46:

Well I ordered it (finally,) so I hope it works.

If 70Hz is within the range of supported variable input frequencies, my guess is that your chances are good.

See here for some of my experience and conjecture :

Re: Require a 4:3 VGA and SVGA display solution

Reply 3 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-06-24, 20:35:
If 70Hz is within the range of supported variable input frequencies, my guess is that your chances are good. […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-06-24, 18:46:

Well I ordered it (finally,) so I hope it works.

If 70Hz is within the range of supported variable input frequencies, my guess is that your chances are good.

See here for some of my experience and conjecture :

Re: Require a 4:3 VGA and SVGA display solution

Thank you for the link! I will read through it. I downloaded a program called CRU.exe and It is supposed to allow the creation and forcing of custom resolutions and refresh rates. I want to try adding 640x400@70+ and try other configurations, but I am afraid that I could damage my TV. CRU does report a VRR range of 48-120Hz, so I am thinking I should be good to go.

I am using 86box and dosbox for some stuff, but I have that real and custom 486 and that customized Gateway P3 with a Voodoo5 and with all of these cool drives like a period correct CF to serial card reader and those internal/external superdisks (which reminds me that I need to get the IDE-to-USB adapter for my spare external ls-120 for my main machine,) so with the OSSC and freesync, I am hoping to get these machines hooked up and looking/playing good on the TV, until I can get my 19" CRT fixed.

Do you have any experience with 86b0x? I have been trying to find out how their display stuff works as far as Hz, both fullscreen and in a window, for the same reasons why I am hoping the physical stuff works. I asked on their discord but sometimes questions get lost in the mix and I didn't get an answer. Being able to display MS-DOS games as intended with both real hardware and emulated hardware/dosbox would be great!

Reply 4 of 6, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-06-24, 22:13:

Thank you for the link! I will read through it. I downloaded a program called CRU.exe and It is supposed to allow the creation and forcing of custom resolutions and refresh rates. I want to try adding 640x400@70+ and try other configurations, but I am afraid that I could damage my TV. CRU does report a VRR range of 48-120Hz, so I am thinking I should be good to go.

Your TV is a modern display and you aren't outputting to an old CRT right? If so, you don't need to worry, modern TVs will just say there's an unsupported signal.

With analog signals it was possible to push too much voltage which could damage things. I believe an incompatible sync could mess with some old displays but that is very unlikely to happen now days.

Reply 5 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2022-06-24, 23:51:
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-06-24, 22:13:

Your TV is a modern display and you aren't outputting to an old CRT right? If so, you don't need to worry, modern TVs will just say there's an unsupported signal.

With analog signals it was possible to push too much voltage which could damage things. I believe an incompatible sync could mess with some old displays but that is very unlikely to happen now days.

Good to know, thank you! I bought this TV because it seemed that it had the best options for both console and PC gaming, so I would hate to bust it. I will try some custom resolutions.

Reply 6 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even newer (starting in the mid 90s or so for higher end models) CRT monitors had push button controls and were thus equipped with a micro controller that could potentially (if designed to do so) also prevent the tube from trying to display something beyond its frequency range capabilities (someone please correct me if wrong).

As for input voltage, AFAICR, the two most common ones I recall were Vpp and 0.7Vpp on VGA (analog RGBHV) type connections. Some CRT monitors ( and even some LCDs with analogue VGA input, AFAICR) had a switch or a menu option to set one or the other.