VOGONS

First post, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hallo,

I have got Nvidia Quadro FX580 which has a strange mode of failure. During my heat-gun stupid madness some time ago I reflowed the chip. 🫣 But the problem is still the same. Now I am trying to save the card and have found there is a missing (very probable) smd capacitor related to ADP3208 buck convertor.
See photos - pin PGND2 i think is the one that is missing the capacitor. Can ´t figure out the value.
The card runs and in most cases boots in to Windows, but if start a stress test (3D mark) it crashes in a minute or two. Usually there is a purple screen or the PC just stuck. (Strange is that 3DMark ceash always, but FurrMark had been running 10 minutes with no problems - I stopped it than)
There is a but of audigable noise from power stage when under load but it might be just a coil whine and not a failure.
The first try would be replace the capacitor - but what value? Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited by H.W.Necromancer on 2022-07-02, 13:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: SOLVED. The missing capacitor is 100nF and it is necassary for the stability of the power regulator IC. After fixing this issue the card is stable and workig. Bewere before you start "heat-gunning" something uselesly, check very very carefuly all the parts of the PCB. Shame on me.