VOGONS

First post, by cylindricpanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I've been beating my head against this issue for about a week, but I have an IBM Aptiva e series 500, machine type 2158 running 98se. I got an audigy 2zs and the install cd worked just fine, but I also found a pci-flavored fx5200 with 256mb. it's PNY branded, and I watched michaelmjd's video on installing the same kind of card in his gateway. I downloaded the PNY driver cd he used, but if I run the autorun installer it can't find the card. going the route of 'add new hardware' through the control panel doesn't seem to work too well, like some files are missing or something. I also found actual nvidia drivers, version 81.98 to be specific, but again if I run the autorun it can't find the card. I did search here and found a thread about this and thus grabbed some older drivers, 45.23 and 56.64, but the same result, no joy.
However, if I use the add new hardware thing again with the nvidia driver files it works better, but if I switch the primary video in the bios to auto from onboard, all that happens is a little splash for the video card, then the blank screen with the prompt cursor that's not actually a prompt. I KNOW the system is detecting the card thus not an issue with the PCI socket, and whenever I switch back and forth between the video modes it brings up a little message before the windows boot screen saying the amount of video memory changed.