VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, recently i bought a nice Armada 1750, very nice Pentium 2 machine with ISA ESS sound card, but with a horrible ATI Rage LT. The bad for me was no Windows 3.1 drivers, but the worst was the generic SVGA driver + vesa patch is not working, with graphics problems on screen, not usable at all

I start trying diferent ati win drivers, vesa drivers like Scitech ones, etc no luck

Finally i found a old Mach64 vesa utility from ATI, that did nothing in the Rage LT exept one option...

s Enable Single Window Implementation

The utility name is M64VBE.COM

I atach in post, and atach the svga vesa patched driver!

Enjoy 800x600x256 in Armada 1750 and maybe other rage LT notebook!

Attachments

• Filename
    svga256.zip
    File size
    40.87 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    64VBE221.EXE
    File size
    174.02 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks ! 🙂👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by RetroTechChris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, as it ends up, there is actually a native ATI driver that will work!!

I stumbled across this page in German: https://www.tech-ecke.de/index_quereinstieg.h … armada_1750.htm

Translating the relevant section:

After I had actually already given up hope, I found three ATI driver CD images on win3x.org which, in my desperation, I simply tried one after the other and was finally successful with the third and last image "Pilotes ATi - r530 (390.3 MB)". . Of course you can suck the complete image, burn it and install it from CD or just take the Win3x extracted from the CD under Downloads below (unpack and run ATISETUP.EXE, then click on the first button [Show driver] and follow the instructions.. .).
After installing and restarting Windows, open the newly added "ATI DeskTop". Under "Screen adjustment" button [Select monitor] and then button [Special] I have set the resolution "1024x768" and "60Hz without interlacing". Then in the "FlexDesk+ control window" set the two sliders "Display size" and "Desktop size" to 1024x768 and, bang, I was able to enjoy Win3.11 in a 1024x768 resolution.
An important setting is to deactivate the DPMS, this setting can also be found on the ATI desktop right next to the "FlexDesk+" button. If you don't set this setting, the graphics card or the monitor hangs when the power-saving function is initiated and only confused pixelation can be seen on the screen.

I didn't hunt down the CD, but did download the file at this link, and it works beautifully! Currently sent to 1024x768x32K colors: https://www.tech-ecke.de/basteleien/download/ … t_pro_win3x.zip

Hope this helps someone.

Now if only I can get that pesky ESS 1869 audio to work properly. Working on it 😀

theelf wrote on 2022-07-12, 14:33:
Hi, recently i bought a nice Armada 1750, very nice Pentium 2 machine with ISA ESS sound card, but with a horrible ATI Rage LT. […]
Show full quote

Hi, recently i bought a nice Armada 1750, very nice Pentium 2 machine with ISA ESS sound card, but with a horrible ATI Rage LT. The bad for me was no Windows 3.1 drivers, but the worst was the generic SVGA driver + vesa patch is not working, with graphics problems on screen, not usable at all

I start trying diferent ati win drivers, vesa drivers like Scitech ones, etc no luck

Finally i found a old Mach64 vesa utility from ATI, that did nothing in the Rage LT exept one option...

Reply 3 of 4, by RetroTechChris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the curious, the full ISO appears to be located here in the list! http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?t=571#p3411

RetroTechChris wrote on 2023-01-07, 21:56:
So, as it ends up, there is actually a native ATI driver that will work!! […]
Show full quote

I stumbled across this page in German: https://www.tech-ecke.de/index_quereinstieg.h … armada_1750.htm

After I had actually already given up hope, I found three ATI driver CD images on win3x.org which, in my desperation, I simply tried one after the other and was finally successful with the third and last image "Pilotes ATi - r530 (390.3 MB)". . Of course you can suck the complete image, burn it and install it from CD or just take the Win3x extracted from the CD under Downloads below (unpack and run ATISETUP.EXE, then click on the first button [Show driver] and follow the instructions.. .).
After installing and restarting Windows, open the newly added "ATI DeskTop". Under "Screen adjustment" button [Select monitor] and then button [Special] I have set the resolution "1024x768" and "60Hz without interlacing". Then in the "FlexDesk+ control window" set the two sliders "Display size" and "Desktop size" to 1024x768 and, bang, I was able to enjoy Win3.11 in a 1024x768 resolution.
An important setting is to deactivate the DPMS, this setting can also be found on the ATI desktop right next to the "FlexDesk+" button. If you don't set this setting, the graphics card or the monitor hangs when the power-saving function is initiated and only confused pixelation can be seen on the screen.

I didn't hunt down the CD, but did download the file at this link, and it works beautifully! Currently sent to 1024x768x32K colors: https://www.tech-ecke.de/basteleien/download/ … t_pro_win3x.zip

Hope this helps someone.

Now if only I can get that pesky ESS 1869 audio to work properly. Working on it 😀

Hi, recently i bought a nice Armada 1750, very nice Pentium 2 machine with ISA ESS sound card, but with a horrible ATI Rage LT. […]
Show full quote

Reply 4 of 4, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroTechChris wrote on 2023-01-07, 21:56:
So, as it ends up, there is actually a native ATI driver that will work!! […]
Show full quote

Hope this helps someone.

Show full quote

Hey!!! thanks!! grrat find!! im traveling for work, as soon arrive home i will try!

i do t need more than 256 colors, but if driver support dci willbe cool to watch videos

Thanks a lot, i will feedback as soon i can