VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few years ago I acquired a non-functional IBM 5175 monitor - apart from a RIFA cap in the PSU the rest of the monitor looked very clean and barely used. It took me a while to have the PSU recapped but I've finally put the whole thing back together in the hope of displaying VGA on it 🤞

It appears this particular specimen is stock and hasn't been modified for VGA - it has a 9-pin connector and from what I understand the pinout is essentially the same as 9-pin VGA, the difference being that pin 4 requires composite sync instead of horizontal sync.

This is the picture I get on standby when no signal is present - not sure if it's supposed to look like this or not, but at least it seems to be working now 👍

5175.jpg
Filename
5175.jpg
File size
98.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Following the suggestion of @maxtherabbit on this thread I sourced a used Extron RGB 160xi and a few adapters.

cables.jpg
Filename
cables.jpg
File size
459.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have a Pentium machine connected to the HD15 input of the Extron with a standard VGA cable. I have the R,G,B,S output connectors of the Extron connected to a BNC to HD15 converter, that is itself connected to a VGA 15-pin to VGA 9-pin converter through a gender changer, that is connected to the 9-pin signal cable of the 5175 😅

The result: 😬

garbled display.jpg
Filename
garbled display.jpg
File size
740.84 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've tried various settings on the Extron and tried with the black or grey cables connected to the "S" output of the Extron but haven't been able to get a stable picture. Not sure how to troubleshoot any further at this stage so I'd love to hear your thoughts on this 😃

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 14, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your unstable picture looks like the horizontal oscillator is out of sync. The nominal horizontal scan rate for the 5175 is 30.5 kHz, whereas VGA uses 31.5 kHz. You likely need to adjust the horizontal oscillator in the monitor to be able to capture the 31.5kHz signal using the "horizontal hold" control, which is possibly only accessible when you open the monitor. CRT monitors have a lot of dangerous voltages inside, so better have someone around when you work on it, or have some with TV/monitor service experience doing the adjustment.

Reply 2 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2022-07-26, 17:16:

Your unstable picture looks like the horizontal oscillator is out of sync. The nominal horizontal scan rate for the 5175 is 30.5 kHz, whereas VGA uses 31.5 kHz. You likely need to adjust the horizontal oscillator in the monitor to be able to capture the 31.5kHz signal using the "horizontal hold" control, which is possibly only accessible when you open the monitor. CRT monitors have a lot of dangerous voltages inside, so better have someone around when you work on it, or have some with TV/monitor service experience doing the adjustment.

This

Reply 3 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

Also,don't use a metal Philips screwdriver to adjust pots/trim caps. Use an adjustment set made of plastic.
Or, at least, a modified ice cream stick made from wood. 😉

It doesn't really matter, strictly speaking.
It just must not be made from metal.
The metal type will cause hand capacity or break the pot. Especially if it's made of ceramic or just old..
So please use something soft for adjustment first.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

Attachments

• Remmi_3.JPG
    Filename
    Remmi_3.JPG
    File size
    47.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wouldnt it be easier to change clock on the PC side with something like powerstrip?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 14, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-07-27, 02:34:

wouldnt it be easier to change clock on the PC side with something like powerstrip?

Not if he wants a vga monitor for dos.

Measure twice, adjust once never have to go inside again once it’s set

Reply 6 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote on 2022-07-26, 14:12:

I have a Pentium machine connected to the HD15 input of the Extron with a standard VGA cable. I have the R,G,B,S output connectors of the Extron connected to a BNC to HD15 converter, that is itself connected to a VGA 15-pin to VGA 9-pin converter through a gender changer, that is connected to the 9-pin signal cable of the 5175 😅

I'm not sure there was ever a standard pinout for "9-pin VGA" - have you checked with a multimeter that the BNCs are actually making it to the correct pins on the monitor's input cable?

Reply 8 of 14, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The pros that resold PGA screens as VGA would actually wire the missing pins inside the chassis somewhere and then use a vga end.

I had one back in the day from Computer Reset that was modded, got sold as a cheap old vga monitor back in the day. 🙁

Reply 9 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you - somehow I assumed the scan rates would be equivalent! I'm certainly not a CRT maintenance expert but I've been adjusting the trim pots in some of my other CRTs mainly to correct white balance issues so I'm not afraid to open them up. I of course follow the safety guidance and try to stay away from the dangerous parts 😀

Jo22 wrote on 2022-07-26, 18:51:
+1 […]
Show full quote

+1

Also,don't use a metal Philips screwdriver to adjust pots/trim caps. Use an adjustment set made of plastic.
Or, at least, a modified ice cream stick made from wood. 😉

It doesn't really matter, strictly speaking.
It just must not be made from metal.
The metal type will cause hand capacity or break the pot. Especially if it's made of ceramic or just old..
So please use something soft for adjustment first.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

Thanks - I have bought a set of CRT adjustment tools for this purpose a few years ago, they're a bit brittle but they've been doing the job so far

20220728_145554.jpg
Filename
20220728_145554.jpg
File size
93.89 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-07-27, 02:44:

I'm not sure there was ever a standard pinout for "9-pin VGA" - have you checked with a multimeter that the BNCs are actually making it to the correct pins on the monitor's input cable?

Good suggestion - I haven't done this yet and will try to adjust the H-Hold pot first and will double check to pinout with a multimeter if it doesn't work.

I've just popped open the 5175 again, first there is some kind of metal mesh that needs to be moved out of the way

20220728_144508.jpg
Filename
20220728_144508.jpg
File size
965.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Then on the left side I can see these labels for the trim pots (from left to right and top to bottom):

- V. LIN
- V. FREQ
- V. CENT (larger pot)

20220728_144922.jpg
Filename
20220728_144922.jpg
File size
558.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

and on the right side these labels:

- H. CENT (larger pot)
- H. LIN
- E/W AMPL.
- V. SIZE 2
- V. SIZE 1
- H. WIDTH (not visible on the picture as it's hidden below the red and black wires)

20220728_144851.jpg
Filename
20220728_144851.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It's a bit more complicated than I thought it would be 😆 - I assume I should try to adjust the H.LIN pot (which has a weird shape BTW 🤔) but I might wait for your input before adjusting anything 😃

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 10 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE:

I found some more pots:

On the right side of the monitor when facing the front

- 22KV ADJ. (not gonna mess with this one 😆)

20220728_155114.jpg
Filename
20220728_155114.jpg
File size
416.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

On the left side of the monitor when facing the front

- H. PHASE
- H. FREQ

20220728_154830.jpg
Filename
20220728_154830.jpg
File size
406 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I believe H.LIN that I mentioned in my previous message is related to geometry so I should probably adjust H. FREQ instead... stay tuned 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 11 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's correct - don't mess with H. Lin(earity) you will just warp the picture. H. Frequency is what you want.

The linearity coil is a ferrite core adjustable inductor which is typically set and glued in position. They are easy to damage

Reply 12 of 14, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-07-28, 14:29:

That's correct - don't mess with H. Lin(earity) you will just warp the picture. H. Frequency is what you want.

I agree on that. I expected it to be called "Horizonzal hold", because that term is commonly used in TVs / monitor circuits, but "Horizontal Frequency" is definitely the adjustment I recommended you to tweak.

Reply 13 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5175_5160.jpg
Filename
5175_5160.jpg
File size
286.98 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

THANKS GUYS! 🍾 😹

It was indeed just a matter of fiddling with the H. FREQ pot to get a stable picture. You don't know how happy I was to finally see the DOS prompt on screen 🤣

I also tweaked H. PHASE, H. WIDTH and V. SIZE 2. (V. SIZE 1 doesn't seem to have any effect for some reason.) Somehow I can't find any pots to adjust the R,G,B intensity but the white balance is actually acceptable so I'm not too fussed. The picture quality is actually pretty decent for such an old monitor that predates VGA by a few years 👍

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 14 of 14, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote on 2022-07-29, 17:34:

I also tweaked H. PHASE, H. WIDTH and V. SIZE 2. (V. SIZE 1 doesn't seem to have any effect for some reason.) Somehow I can't find any pots to adjust the R,G,B intensity but the white balance is actually acceptable so I'm not too fussed. The picture quality is actually pretty decent for such an old monitor that predates VGA by a few years 👍

The reason V. SIZE 1 doesn't do anything is most likely that this is a dual-mode monitor (remember it has a "mode" input on the 9-pin connector), possibly to toggle between a 400-line mode and a 480-line mode. Each V-SIZE pot is for one of the two modes.