VOGONS

First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
the pc is a Pentium MMX 233 socket 7. i would like to add a Voodoo2 card

The chipset is a Triton-VX

These are the PCI specifications instead. I had tried other Voodoo2 cards in the past but they had artifacts (it was not to be ruled out that the cards were broken)

PCI Bus The fully synchronous 30/33 MHz PCI bus originates in the chipset. Features of the PCI bus are: Ÿ Zero wait state microp […]
Show full quote

PCI Bus
The fully synchronous 30/33 MHz PCI bus originates in the chipset. Features of the PCI bus are:
Ÿ Zero wait state microprocessor-to-PCI write interface for high performance graphics
Ÿ Built-in PCI bus arbiter with support for up to five masters
Ÿ Microprocessor-to-PCI memory write posting with 5 Dword deep buffers
Ÿ Converts back-to-back sequential microprocessor-to-PCI memory write to PCI burst write
Ÿ PCI-to-DRAM posting 18 Dwords
Ÿ PCI-to-DRAM up to 120 MB/sec bandwidth
Ÿ Multi-transaction timer to support multiple short PCI transactions within one PCI ARB cycle
Ÿ PCI 2.1 compliant

In terms of specifications is my pc compatible?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a 300gl 6282 with a Pentium MMX 200 and I used a voodoo 1 with no problems for some days but from one day to the other the card died, in my case I think it was the power supply because my DMM was reading 3,61v on the 3.3v line that is connected to the PCI/ISA riser. I already tried to resolder the chips, but without any luck. So maybe it is a good idea to have a look on the power supply. I didn't investigate it a lot because I have another computers from that era.

Reply 2 of 5, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, I just checked and the voltages are ok
I was interested to see if as a PCI specification they are compatible with a Voodoo2

I tried various PCI cards: A first generation quadro, an FX5200 and an ATI Rage XL but only the XL works.
I guess because of the old specs and I wanted to see if the Voodoo2 works

Reply 3 of 5, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the Voodoo 1 worked, the Voodoo 2 should also work, I also did some tests with a Chinese Rage XL on it. A Voodoo card is perfect for these computers because the integrated graphics card is already good enough for 2D. I was very sad when the Voodoo 1 died. 🙁
On my 300gl, the hardest part was to find a 64mb SDRAM module, and after that I've lost the 3D card... dam.

Reply 4 of 5, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2022-07-28, 10:47:

If the Voodoo 1 worked, the Voodoo 2 should also work, I also did some tests with a Chinese Rage XL on it. A Voodoo card is perfect for these computers because the integrated graphics card is already good enough for 2D. I was very sad when the Voodoo 1 died. 🙁
On my 300gl, the hardest part was to find a 64mb SDRAM module, and after that I've lost the 3D card... dam.

I find another stick of 32mb and now I have 64
The second stick is branded Celestica like the original one
The 64 megs stick are too expensives 😅😅

And today the Voodoo2 arrived and it works well 💪

Reply 5 of 5, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using more than 64megs of ram will slow down your pc anyways.
A voodoo2 is a bit overkill for this cpu but it will run like a charm.

I have one up and running myself.
https://youtu.be/-0-fwseSKgk

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.