VOGONS

First post, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hallo Vogons,
I have one of my favorite GeForce 4 MX440 - just I like the cards design. I have found the card had not been able to boot up with drivers. Replacing two 470uF capacitors did help. Now the card is running but there are texture glitches - hard to take a photo - will try. But it is like long black spikes flashing in to the image. Sometimes it also looks like thin white spaces in between textures - like if these are not connected properly. I see it in various versions of 3DMark.
Do you think the memory is faulty? I have seen a thread about such an issue here - very old one - but can ´t find it now. 🫣
So far visual inspection shows nothing...
Thank you

Attachments

Reply 2 of 10, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-05, 13:13:

Underclock memory.

Thank you. I have tried this, but it seems to have no effect.
There are another two capacitors (220uF 16V) on the power rail. I have checked one of these. The capacity is OK - which does not mean the capacitors are fine.
I will try to replace those two as well.
My second thought is faulty memory chip / bad solder joint. (?)
The GPU itself might be faulty but I don´t think so - those old slower GPUs are very durable, and the glitches are very much memory related.
--
I hate this - looks like new and not working properly. F-*K! )-:

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just out of curiosity, what's the model number of your card?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if the spikes are flashing, it can be driver or gpu issue as well. try replacing the driver. pull down the gpu clock speeds.
the mx440 worths less than the price of the caps you are putting on to it tho.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 7 of 10, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Geri wrote on 2022-09-08, 23:44:

if the spikes are flashing, it can be driver or gpu issue as well. try replacing the driver. pull down the gpu clock speeds.
the mx440 worths less than the price of the caps you are putting on to it tho.

Thank you. Yes I think you are right - it would be a faulty chip or bad joint under. During testing the card, I have tried several driver versions and I am 100% sure the setup is OK. There is another almost same card running in the same system.
This is not about money. Most of the old HW does not worth the time nor the money I put in. This is about - "Can I diagnose it? If yes, can I fix it?". This time I am examining GF4 MX, next time the same knowledge can save some
really rare card.
And as one of my friends have said. "It in nice and nobody will ever manufacture it again..."
(-:
--
I am now working on other projects which are more precious for me, but I am pretty much convinced the chip itself is bed, or need a reflow at least - which I will try. As a training.

Reply 9 of 10, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2022-09-15, 14:47:

The HY5DU283222Q RAM is defective.

For some reason, QFP DDR of that era just wasn't reliable.

Stick with the TSOP66 models if you must have a card with DDR.

Thank you. Bad memory chip has been my second thought. I am sure they have good connections as I have reflowed those carefully with my soldering iron.
However, I have heard many stories about those went bad. You might be right.
I have a very similar card but damaged, missing parts, not nice. It has I think the same memory chips. And I might have more donors.
And I need to practice QFP soldering. I can hit two birds with one stone.
There is probably no chance to tell in advance which of the chips went bad, isn´t it? What it confusing me is I have used a memory testing software and it said the memory is OK.
However who knows if the software is reliable and if it is able to stress the memory same as 3D rendering..../-:
It is not about I must have DDR or this and this...I just like MX cards as I am "collecting" various models and they serve good in retro PC instead of other "hard to get" models etc. And I wish to improve my reflow and soldering skills without risking scorching some 100 USD collectible card….

Reply 10 of 10, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H.W.Necromancer wrote on 2022-09-16, 10:02:

There is probably no chance to tell in advance which of the chips went bad, isn´t it?

If you find out, I'd love to know. I've got two GeForce2 GTS cards with this QFP memory... Both Infineon and Samsung were the two main producers at that time (though I note yours has Hynix)... I think Samsung may be slightly better, but that's not saying a lot. If you are looking for donor chips, try to find late datecode Samsung parts.

I have a MX440 with a late datecode Samsung 40ns variety -- seems to work fine, but I'll loop it with 3DMark 2001 over the weekend and see if it lasts.

Another option are the GeForce4 MX-8X AGP variants with the BGA RAM. Also, not the best, but much more reliable than the QFP RAM.

EDIT: Just looped 3dMark2001SE for the past few hours, no issues. RAM is Samsung K4D263238M-QC40 datecode 208.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png