VOGONS

First post, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

A while ago, I happened upon a listing for this strange Voodoo 2. It was designed for Macs, which makes sense given the DB15 connector for video output. At first, I was a bit put off by this strangeness and the lack of a bracket for said card that I just about moved on, but I ended up with it for a pretty fair price and lo-and-behold it works fine in PCs too (as expected, given that Voodoo 2s lack BIOSes). With a DB15 to VGA adapter, it works as any other Voodoo.

The thing is, this card is a bit troubling in that it, as aforementioned, lacks a bracket. The bulky DB15 to VGA adapter holds it in place amongst the other rear I/O fine, but I’d much rather use something realistic (and admittedly less janky/hazardous). I’m wondering if maybe 3D printing is the answer? I don’t have a 3D printer, but I have used Shapeways to success before for odd-sized brackets.

I’ve considered purchasing something like a dual-output Mac model Mach64 with DB15 and VGA and swapping the bracket but the dang ports are reversed on those! In fact, just about every card designed with both outputs as such is the reverse of the Game Wizard.

So, I guess the root of it all is this: Does anyone have any ideas about what to do for a bracket for this card?

Thank you all!

25FB3E8D-1760-4D2F-87E4-C726890098C7.jpeg
Filename
25FB3E8D-1760-4D2F-87E4-C726890098C7.jpeg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File comment
The Culprit
File license
CC-BY-4.0

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 2 of 7, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply and for your thoughts!

Yeah, I think that’s the way I’m going to have to go. It’d be nice to just be able to do a swap, but 3D printing should be good enough.

If anyone has this card and could provide accurate dimensions, that’d be great! I am going to try and make some measurements this weekend.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 3 of 7, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-08-13, 04:18:

Thanks for the reply and for your thoughts!

Yeah, I think that’s the way I’m going to have to go. It’d be nice to just be able to do a swap, but 3D printing should be good enough.

If anyone has this card and could provide accurate dimensions, that’d be great! I am going to try and make some measurements this weekend.

it baffles me why people remove the brackets, they are pretty much worthless as a recycling material and even more worthless without the card they come from.

Reply 4 of 7, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-13, 04:24:

it baffles me why people remove the brackets, they are pretty much worthless as a recycling material and even more worthless without the card they come from.

I don’t get it either. It seems to me that it’s almost become customary, unfortunately. I see it far too often these days.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 6 of 7, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, interesting! That would work. I am not sure what I’ve got as far as tools, but if I’ve got the right ones that seems easier. Thanks sdz for the great idea!

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 7 of 7, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not to necro an old thread of mine, but I found a reasonable and simple solution to this: The PCI bracket from a Matrox Millennium fits, as should that from a Mystique. I had a dead Millennium, and figured it was worth a shot. It's important to note that the metal screw tabs must be bent toward the bracket, so as to lie flush against it. This allows for the card's PCB to clear the tabs and ensures a pretty much spot-on fit!

3D printing is probably your second best bet, if you're in a situation similar to mine.

-Live Long and Prosper-