VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I have this Trident ISA VGA card TVGA 8900C that's giving me an annoying picture. Basically the colors are overbright and a little over-saturated, but also there is this annoying vertical stripes pattern too. It's hard to capture on camera, but here's a photo that hopefully demonstrates the issue:

20220813_094407.jpg
Filename
20220813_094407.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This issue happens despite testing different monitors. But some seem to be less susceptible than others, but never 100% good. On my LCD it looks really bad. Other cards I have dont have this issue. Also tried the card in different mobos, and it's the same.

Here is a photo of the card's boot screen, which shows the BIOS information:

Screenshot_20220813-094639_Video Player.png
Filename
Screenshot_20220813-094639_Video Player.png
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here is the card itself:

764_fcc_id_hng2ypvga96x8c21_trident_tvga8900c_top_hq.jpg
Filename
764_fcc_id_hng2ypvga96x8c21_trident_tvga8900c_top_hq.jpg
File size
310.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The stripes become less obvious in darker colors. But damn.. EDIT's blue screen is so blue your eyes would implode. Any idea what can I do here?

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 4, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw the same problem with numerous ISA and old PCI graphics cards. My guess is the cards have a low quality analog output that shows the vertical banding on LCD monitors, but may have been unnoticeable on old CRT monitors of that time period. The only ISA card I have that looks good on a LCD is the Tseng ET4000.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 2 of 4, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixel_workbench wrote on 2022-08-14, 21:36:

I saw the same problem with numerous ISA and old PCI graphics cards. My guess is the cards have a low quality analog output that shows the vertical banding on LCD monitors, but may have been unnoticeable on old CRT monitors of that time period. The only ISA card I have that looks good on a LCD is the Tseng ET4000.

Just because a card has a ET4000 chip on it doesn't mean you won't experience the vertical banding. I have a number of these cards with ET4000 chips on them from different manufactures and some have this issue and others do not. My Trident with a TVGA9000C on it and it doesn't have this issue.

Edit: I still have to test this with my OSSC to see if that makes a difference...

Reply 3 of 4, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got another Trident 8900C that has a slightly different board layout, and it has no issues. Now I wonder if the over-brightness/over-saturation I have in the other 8900C was from the factory, or if certain components started to cause it with time.