VOGONS

First post, by tigger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am trying to boot an industrial PC based on ROCKY-538TXV V6.2 CPU Single Board Computer. The graphic card in use is s3 trio64v+, 128mb RAM. I have disabled network features, and the windows 3.11 itself boots if I use the exact hard disk on a virtual machine.

However the same hard disk if I use it on the actual pc, it gets stuck on logo screen. My main suspect is the graphic card, I have tried selecting different resolution and on some instances I get an error that the video driver have insufficient memory. I also tried using SVGA patch, but the issue remains the same. At one point I tried setting using 640x480 resolution, it booted past the logo, and it got stuck after. I could not repeat this again, after a reboot.

What should s3 trio64V+ best resolution be, I am using the driver from vogonsdriver v. 1.70.04 - PROD.Another question, my lcd is running on native resolution of 1280 x 1024 at 60Hz, will this play a role in my problems?
Any suggestion for a better video card?

Reply 1 of 3, by effy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Resolution will depend on how much video memory your S3 has but I would expect it to throw an error instead of locking up at the logo screen if you try to use a resolution that is too high.

Have you tried running Windows setup from DOS and changing to VGA display driver for now to see if you get further?

Also are you loading a DOS mouse driver? I experience the same exact issue of getting stuck at the Windows loading screen if I have Cutemouse loaded first. If I switch to logitech or MS mouse drivers it works fine, or just not loading a mouse driver altogether works too since Windows doesn't need it.

Reply 3 of 3, by tigger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. I already tried removing mouse in system.ini, no difference.

I tried changing the graphics card to Matrox Mystique today. I was using generic SVGA patch driver 800x600 256 color. The system booted all the way. I was happy for brief moment about 2-3 minutes till it went black. A restart gets me stuck at logo screen again. However if I take the hard disk and plug into a virtual machine and boot it, and then bring back the hard disk to the PC, it boots again for brief moment. The cycle repeats again.

Which makes me thinking, is there a file that windows 3.11 writes upon boot, i know system.ini is what windows read to boot, where does it write?