VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am having a clear out of retro stuffs. Which video card would you keep for occasional use in a 486 PC?

S3 Trio64V+ PCI
ATI Mach64 (ct version...?) PCI
STB Lightspeed 128 PCI
Trident 900C ISA
Realtek RTG3105 ISA

Only for DOS gaming so I guess from a compatibility / image quality perspective.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 3 of 6, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for my curiosity , what's wrong with the Mach64 CT ?
I'm using one (Upgraded to 2MB) for my late DOS machine with a Voodoo.
But i never really thought about using another one. (that, and also because i'm an ATI fan)
I have a Trio64V2DX waiting in a box and a Matrox MGA-2064W / IS-STORM comming soon...

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 4 of 6, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2022-08-16, 15:28:
Just for my curiosity , what's wrong with the Mach64 CT ? I'm using one (Upgraded to 2MB) for my late DOS machine with a Voodoo. […]
Show full quote

Just for my curiosity , what's wrong with the Mach64 CT ?
I'm using one (Upgraded to 2MB) for my late DOS machine with a Voodoo.
But i never really thought about using another one. (that, and also because i'm an ATI fan)
I have a Trio64V2DX waiting in a box and a Matrox MGA-2064W / IS-STORM comming soon...

Beside all the problems listed with ATI for DOS games here: https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS, none of the ATI cards I have tried can play 'Terminator: SkyNET' or 'Future Shock' (with the upgrade) in 640x480 resolution. It's no problem for Trident, S3, and 3dfx, however. If you don't play any of the games listed, you're probably fine. At this point, I don't give ATI cards for DOS a 2nd look.

This doesn't mean I don't like ATI cards (from 1995 - 2002), I only wouldn't use them for my DOS needs when there are more consistently performing options available.

Reply 5 of 6, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the details. That makes sense.
And thanks for the link, very interesting !

Edit : Actually, very surprised by the Intel i740 results. It's a quite good in DOS.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 6 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

STB Lightspeed 128 = Tseng Labs ET6000, definitely the best of them all.
But I would rather use it with a Pentium, coupled with some Voodoo.

For a 486 with pure DOS, S3 Trio indeed seems to be the perfect match.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...