VOGONS

First post, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently testing some of my older PCI and ISA cards that I'm planning to put in some computer builds that I have planned for the winter.

When I have been testing before I have done it with some of the benchmarks that are included in the Dosbench package, testing with Quake, Doom and PC Player benchmark.

What are the most relevant benchmarks to cover typical late Dos games like Quake? In some cases there are quite big differences between different graphics cards and sometimes its hardly a 0.1 fps difference depending on whats limiting the performance. Compatibility is another thing, what is best to use for finding weird or bad behavior in different modes and resolutions?

Another question is what CPU is relevant for the testing. I'm going to run the cards in computers from fast 386 to Pentiums at up to 200mhz. My idea was to test all of them in the same machine to get rid of the CPU limitations as a first test.

Cards in the pile thats going to be tested:
Trident 8900C, Trident 9000, ET4000, some WDC ISA-card, probably a Paradise VGA
S3 Trio and Virge (different versions), ET6000, S3 968, Matrox Millenium II, Matrox Mystique, some TNT and S3 Savage if they work.

Reply 1 of 2, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Build engine games would be a good start. During my testing I've discovered a lot of issues with games on that engine which are rarely mentioned.

Compatibility is another thing

Just pick anything from DOS compatibility matrix.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 2, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-24, 14:16:

Build engine games would be a good start. During my testing I've discovered a lot of issues with games on that engine which are rarely mentioned.

Compatibility is another thing

Just pick anything from DOS compatibility matrix.

Build engine is games like Duke Nukem 3D and Blood?

Duke seems to have a built in fps-counter but does it have anything like a timedemo in quake/doom?

I haven't got any time to try anything the last couple of days though...