VOGONS

First post, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve got Compaq Armada 7792DMT with S3 Aurora64 V+ (86CM65) (2Mb). I noticed several times this garbage in the same place. No idea what’s the source of this issue. I didn’t see this when I was gaming in dos.

https://youtu.be/0UMYwzJGE_s

To be clear I am using default video driver from windows 98. Maybe I need a specific driver for this video card but I wasn’t able to find one in the Internet.

I tried to run video memory test tool but it’s too new for this laptop it wasn’t working.

Reply 1 of 5, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vorob wrote on 2022-09-06, 12:26:
I’ve got Compaq Armada 7792DMT with S3 Aurora64 V+ (86CM65) (2Mb). I noticed several times this garbage in the same place. No id […]
Show full quote

I’ve got Compaq Armada 7792DMT with S3 Aurora64 V+ (86CM65) (2Mb). I noticed several times this garbage in the same place. No idea what’s the source of this issue. I didn’t see this when I was gaming in dos.

To be clear I am using default video driver from windows 98. Maybe I need a specific driver for this video card but I wasn’t able to find one in the Internet.

I tried to run video memory test tool but it’s too new for this laptop it wasn’t working.

Honestly looks like a lcd issue and not vram.

Reply 2 of 5, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-06, 12:32:
vorob wrote on 2022-09-06, 12:26:
I’ve got Compaq Armada 7792DMT with S3 Aurora64 V+ (86CM65) (2Mb). I noticed several times this garbage in the same place. No id […]
Show full quote

Honestly looks like a lcd issue and not vram.

Thats what i thought..
Maybe use an external Monitor to confirm the fault is there too...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 4 of 5, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this is a coincidence, but I played on a laptop, and there was an electric kettle nearby. At some point, a relay clicked in it and for a second I saw artifacts. The laptop is powered directly from 220 volts, maybe it's interference from electric stuff?

Reply 5 of 5, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vorob wrote on 2022-09-06, 19:09:

Maybe this is a coincidence, but I played on a laptop, and there was an electric kettle nearby. At some point, a relay clicked in it and for a second I saw artifacts. The laptop is powered directly from 220 volts, maybe it's interference from electric stuff?

The fact it didn't move at all from that position on the screen really does indicate the panel itself has a problem, it could be a backlight issue if its a LED panel or it could be loose/dirty contacts on the ribbon connecting the panel to the motherboard.

At worst its the LCD itself with dead/dying or damaged pixels, has the screen ever taken a hit to that area ? its pretty close to the area where the lid catch would be, might be worth investigating if the catch isn't placing too much pressure on an old panel.

vorob wrote on 2022-09-06, 19:09:

sounds like the power lead needs a ferrite core on it to filter input voltage.