VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First off, I know there is risk when it comes to repairing old CRTs re: electricity that they store and they need to be properly discharged beforehand.

That said, I have a couple Samsung CRT displays that make a buzzing noise when it use; it's something that has worsened over time. I'm wonder if this is something that is fixable, either via replacing components or even trying to better affix component to reduce internal vibration.

Has anyone undertaken these types of repairs? Is it worth it or better to just recycle these CRTs?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my monitors, nearly all the noise comes from the yoke and primarly from the vertical side so 60Hz+ with its harmonics. There is not a whole lot to do about it, relaquering can make them less noisy but best results come from removing the yoke to do it proper and that is a big can of worms since it has to be realigned again then.

Of course that laquer must be specially for electronics and be able to handle heat aswell.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2022-09-11, 03:48:

In my monitors, nearly all the noise comes from the yoke and primarly from the vertical side so 60Hz+ with its harmonics. There is not a whole lot to do about it, relaquering can make them less noisy but best results come from removing the yoke to do it proper and that is a big can of worms since it has to be realigned again then.

Of course that laquer must be specially for electronics and be able to handle heat aswell.

I suppose it might be worth a try. I have at least 3 CRTs with considerable buzz to them that I might attempt this on. At this point I feel there isn't much to lose trying to fix these issues.

I was reading on another forum about someone using PVC cement for that purpose: https://maker.pro/forums/threads/fixed-a-noisy-yoke.53458/

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silicone should work better, it has a bit of give and will be able to dissipate the energy of what is vibrating better. Some of the noise comes from loose windings, but a lot of it comes from the ferrite core itself from magnetostriction effect.

I would do laquer first, it can do wonders and is far less messy and you can do it without removing the yoke also. It can be difficult to get purity and convergence good again after removal of the yoke, things need to be exactly in the same place as before and none of the adjusts drift during handling, on the other hand if there were any flaws, now is a good time to fix them 🤣

Reply 4 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about nail polish? It's easy to get. All you need is some female within reach.
I often used nails polish as a cheap replacement for sealing lacquer.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you need awful lot of it, and I am unsure if it is safe to use on something that actually gets hot. Can of electronics insulation laquer costs under 10€, while little bottle of nail polish can be more than that 🤣