VOGONS

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got an OSSC and am trying to figure out how to get the most use out of it with a Windows 98 machine. So far it seems to work okay with one of my 1080p monitors using 2x scaling at 640x480. The only problem is that I'm stuck at 60hz for the most part unless a game forces a different refresh rate (or if I'm playing a dos game which uses 70hz). It would be nice if I could select different refresh rates on the desktop like I would if the computer was hooked up to a regular monitor. Is it possible to enable more refresh rates when using an OSSC?

My Windows 98 machine has a Geforce 4 ti 4800se for reference. I would also be interested to know any specific OSSC settings that might be useful when using Win9x.

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OSSC has no EDID on it so there's a need for an external solution for that, PowerStrip can be used to make custom resolutions with specific refresh rates, and I think it can force refresh rates too. I'm sure some other tools exist for refresh rates management too.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xenphor wrote on 2022-09-12, 03:26:

It would be nice if I could select different refresh rates on the desktop like I would if the computer was hooked up to a regular monitor.

And what, does the OSSC have problems with this? That is, you can’t just set, say, 1920x 1080@100hz on the desktop? (Through ForceWare 2.0+ settings or in display properties)? I did not expect this from such a product. As far as I know, even ordinary active adapters allow this, but perhaps they have the same "EDID".

Please keep us posted if you can get @100hz on your desktop using OSSC. Perhaps this will save other users from mistakes who have not yet chosen an adapter, but are going to do it and are considering OSSC as one of the options for such an application.

Also try the following setting:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0000\DEFAULT]
"DDC"="0"

Where "0000" - is the actual ID of the adapter being used (may be different in your case).

Reply 3 of 3, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With powerstrip I am able to get different refresh rates selected and displayed with the OSSC. The problem now is that there are fuzzy, flickering spots all over the picture and it is cropped in an offset position. I'm not sure how much this can be fixed since my monitor has limited scaling options. So far I've tried 70, 72, and 85hz all with similar results. I tried messing with the advanced timing sampling options but nothing I changed helped much other than adjusting the position on screen.