VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this Goldstar 14" SVGA monitor that shows a vertically-squished picture.

20220912_174450.jpg
Filename
20220912_174450.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Anyone familiar with this problem? I disassembled the monitor and quickly eyed the components but couldn't find any visual issue. Obviously tried a lot with the vertical hold & scale and horizontal sync knobs. But none were able to unsquish the picture.
It's also not the VGA card because I tried it on several, and the screen looks squished even when you don't connect it to VGA.

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do not run this monitor like so, you will cause burn in on the center of the screen and it can happen very quickly.

This can be several things, bad solder, bad capacitor or damage to the frame amplifier. What tools do you have ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did actually open it and fully disassembled the boards. I couldn't find anything visually outstanding. All caps look good, no burnt nor chipped components. The monitor's VGA connector soldwr joints were actually broken. But that's a different issue, which I fixed already. Now you see the picture coming from the PC, but the squishing is unrelated to this fix. I feel there's something in the vertical trace circuit, but I don't know how to identify that circuit let alone find the faulty component.

Cheers!

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Photos of the inside can be helpful then and even better is an actual schematic if it is available for it, which will greatly simplify the process ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜