VOGONS

First post, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Windows XP system on an Athlon XP with a Radeon 4670 AGP. I just recently got a CRT to use with the system as I had just been using an LCD that was kind of out of place. The CRT is certainly capable of higher than 60Hz at 1024 x 768. In Windows, I can go to the refresh rate window under right-click properties, settings, whatever; you know the thing 😀 I installed the monitor driver and it allows me to select and apply the right refresh rates from this window, but it changes nothing. When I click apply, the screen goes black for a second, but it's clearly still 60Hz. If I press the front panel buttons on the monitor and open its display settings, it shows me that the HV is still 60.6 Hz. And it's clear, cause opening a white screen flickers like crazy and hurts my eyes.

So anyway, I suspect it is probably a software, driver, or video card issue. I would think if the monitor was partially broken, it simply wouldn't display or it'd be messed up. I doubt it could down-convert a higher refresh rate.

Has anyone had this issue? What did you do to fix it?

PS: I could start trying to install different video driver versions again, but I already had to do that when I set up the system and I remember it being super annoying to find a version where the install wouldn't fail or get errors.

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA