VOGONS

First post, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinking of giving up on repairing a few LCD 4:3 monitors and modernizing all my display hardware. This means new monitors with HDMI only inputs. But I still have some VGA only graphics cards and systems still being used.

So I need some recommendations for a VGA-to-HDMI converter. Points of interest would be low-latency and ability to work with resolutions 1600 x 1200 on down to DOS-game resolutions.

Thanks in advance to all!

Reply 1 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I too would like to just find a simple active cable that does this but I fear that all that I order won’t work for one reason or another.

My requirements are basically the same. (Plus bios)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 4, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After researching into a lot of the cheaper cables I find that they work with specific resolutions and refresh rates, mostly 60Hz only. So that doesn't seem to cover anything near the variety of modes/signals VGA and SVGA output.

Reply 3 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably one of the Extron RGB-DVI or RGB-HDMI boxes. They can be found second hand.
ie https://www.extron.com/product/rgbdvi300

Look over this thread. Maybe skip forward to around 2019.
VGA Capture Thread

Nothing is perfect though.

Reply 4 of 4, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I had another crack at it and got the faulty monitor working..

In my short travels of researching VGA-to-HDMI I found nothing that would've been satisfactory. Either the range of resolutions supported was specific and narrow, or the lag was too long. And then there were the complexities of configuration on ones that seemed might be acceptable, nowhere near as simple as just plugging it in.