VOGONS

First post, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, Acer Ferrari 3400 laptop, with ATI 9700. On stock drivers everything works okay, but since it’s driver from 2003 and I’m playing Doom 3 from 2004 I face some freezing.

I modded desktop driver like I always do for laptops and installed newer driver. Now the problem is that any game I launch start with laptop black screen. The game is working, but it’s sending signal not on laptop monitor. I’ve connected external display and the game is there.

Maybe anyone faced such behaviour and know the solution? Maybe I can lock system so it wouldn’t even think about external display?

I’ve got some other laptops with ATI card like x700 and x1900 and never had such issue with modded drivers.

Reply 1 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ignorant's question: isn't it sending the signal because it has an incompatible resolution? External can display it but internal can't?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 6, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, it’s generic 1024x768. With no external display I get black screen, but if I press keys to switch output I can bring game back to laptop screen, but this end up with low fps or app exit.

Reply 3 of 6, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, after some experiments I found that when laptop screen works in its native resolution (1400x1050) I’m constantly getting black screen when I launch games. Any games.

But if I set windows to other resolution, 1024x768 for eg, games will launch fine.

They also launch from windows sitting in native resolution if I set aspect ratio correction to centered, not the full screen stretched.

Last edited by vorob on 2022-09-27, 17:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2022-09-27, 11:53:

Okay, after some experience I found that when laptop screen works in its native resolution (1400x1050) I’m constantly getting black screen when I launch games. Any games.

But if I set windows to other resolution, 1024x768 for eg, games will launch fine.

They also launch from windows sitting in native resolution if I set aspect ratio correction to centered, not the full screen stretched.

It was a resolution issue 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 5 of 6, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea what's going on. Both games and windows support different resolutions, but only if i sit in native one it can't display games. And it's only on custom drivers. No logic here 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying to make my life easier, with this issue, but still no luck. I made a quick resolution switch, so i could enter 1024x768 when i wanna play games and get back to 1400x1050 when i'm done. But even in windows, if i switch resolution fast, sometimes i get black screen and only by pressing output switch button i can get back the image.

I wonder what works wrong here.