VOGONS

First post, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 8MB Creative Voodoo 2 has Silicon Magic chips on it (SM81C256K16CJ-25 for reference) and I'd like to do the upgrade to 12MB.

The only place online that I can find them is Alibaba which I've never used before, and it feels kinda sketchy. The 2 suppliers I've talked to have really jerked me around on the price. One of them is finally down to something I would consider reasonable, but it's a minimum order of 100 pieces, so I'm still looking at spending close to $100. My thinking is that I could probably sell the rest to other potential upgraders so that it would make more sense.

So I guess I'm wondering what people think. Anyone care to share good/bad experiences? Is there much risk of getting screwed over?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’d be curious to upgrade mine to 24mb. If anyone has info on this.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2022-09-30, 17:25:

My 8MB Creative Voodoo 2 has Silicon Magic chips on it (SM81C256K16CJ-25 for reference) and I'd like to do the upgrade to 12MB.

Equivalent part (256K x 16 EDO RAM, 5V, Dual CAS, 25ns RAS access time, 10ns EDO page mode cycle time): Mosel Vitelic V53C16258HK-25, just for reference if sourcing the SM parts turns out problematic.

Reply 3 of 8, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I wouldn't use Alibaba, the price is too likely to change and you need to order too great a quantity. It's just murky waters from what I've seen, my preference is to stick to Aliexpress to Ebay where a fixed price is agreed at the point of sale.
I've successfully put an 8MB Voodoo II up to 12MB by adding some SOJ ram chips: Re: Voodoo2 8 to 12MB RAM upgrade - is it really that straightforward?

The ones I bought were afaik from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255079057471
It's been a few years and the price is really about the same. It should be around $16, not $100 (albeit for 10x not 100x). Reselling them is more work that it's worth from my POV. There are few Voodoo II cards left and even less that people are willing to modify.

Reply 4 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-30, 17:27:

I’d be curious to upgrade mine to 24mb. If anyone has info on this.

Have a look here : https://darwin-3dfx.sourceforge.net/voodoo2.pdf
· 2 or 4 MBytes of SGRAM* or SDRAM* frame buffer memory
· 2, 4, 8, or 16 MBytes of SGRAM* or SDRAM* texture memory

That being said, I don't know how accurate that is as the Voodoo 2 used EDO DRAM, AFAIK, which is not even mentioned in this document .

Source : Voodoo2 16mb do they exist?

Reply 5 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-10-01, 05:27:
Have a look here : https://darwin-3dfx.sourceforge.net/voodoo2.pdf · 2 or 4 MBytes of SGRAM* or SDRAM* frame buffer memory · 2, […]
Show full quote

Have a look here : https://darwin-3dfx.sourceforge.net/voodoo2.pdf
· 2 or 4 MBytes of SGRAM* or SDRAM* frame buffer memory
· 2, 4, 8, or 16 MBytes of SGRAM* or SDRAM* texture memory

That being said, I don't know how accurate that is as the Voodoo 2 used EDO DRAM, AFAIK, which is not even mentioned in this document .

Also from that document

Voodoo2 preliminary documentation wrote:

Important Note: Throughout this document, features, descriptions, and specifications which are marked with the * symbol are not present in the Alpha version of the Voodoo2 Graphics chipset.

So it seems like the SDRAM/SGRAM interface has been cancelled and the old EDO interface inherited from the Voodoo Graphics has been kept in place instead.

Reply 6 of 8, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Thermalwrong
I hadn't spotted those chips before, so thanks for pointing them out. I'd seen that post of yours before, but I never thought to spy the model number on the chips in your pics. 😀

And that price is so much more appealing. Now I just need to decide if savings will offset the OCD triggering that will occur by having 2 types of chips on the same card. 😁

Reply 7 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well alibaba is the aliexpress section for company/retailers purchasing in bulk
sellers will bend the rules and sell to individuals if a large enough quantity is agreed and if you are comfortable ordering from aliexpress then alibaba is no different
ask photos of the ram chips before you get them, sometimes fishy/fakes can be spotted from them

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I purchased one item a month ago, a specific high rpm small blower fan made by ebmpapst, a german made item, intended for CPAP that as shown on their aliexpress and I got generic blower fan but totally different, yet good quality, that's not inspiring about their conduct of business. This is my first dipping the water. The page you want to buy does not have easy access to contact about this item in question. You have to find their message link on their store main of their products, (not on same page), and copy and paste about the item in question to confirm it is correct one etc and waiting for their replies, and it is not email either. More foot work.

Needed the ebmpapst since this is quality part planned to investigate the noise level at sufficient rpm to generate just enough PSI needed.

The search function to search for items you want to look at is not specific, and mostly generic quality, rarely industrial that you don't want (too big or specialized). In fact, generated lot of general items that is way off, forcing you to spend hours looking pages of pages to find few you want.
Most of them I have seen is usually accessible on ebay and more reliable.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.