VOGONS

First post, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings venerable Vogons. I hope we're all doing well and installing lots of intergalactic bypasses!

I recently picked up two of these awesome little Hewlett Packard 14" CRT monitors during a local office cleanout. They're both really bright tubes and I love the form factor.

Unfortunately I am unable to find display drivers for them anywhere! I just want to get them running at a decent refresh rate so I can play some Starcraft.

The model number is D2813. They're 14" and say "1024" on the front, but nothing else. Is anybody able to help me out?

I tried installing https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 104&menustate=0 from the Vogons driver library, but it made things worse and now I can't seem to switch back to Windows Plug and Play drivers.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snookeroo wrote on 2022-10-18, 00:38:
Greetings venerable Vogons. I hope we're all doing well and installing lots of intergalactic bypasses! […]
Show full quote

Greetings venerable Vogons. I hope we're all doing well and installing lots of intergalactic bypasses!

I recently picked up two of these awesome little Hewlett Packard 14" CRT monitors during a local office cleanout. They're both really bright tubes and I love the form factor.

Unfortunately I am unable to find display drivers for them anywhere! I just want to get them running at a decent refresh rate so I can play some Starcraft.

The model number is D2813. They're 14" and say "1024" on the front, but nothing else. Is anybody able to help me out?

I tried installing https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 104&menustate=0 from the Vogons driver library, but it made things worse and now I can't seem to switch back to Windows Plug and Play drivers.

Try this, which covers a number of models including yours

Filename
WHATSNEW.TXT
File size
2.5 KiB
Downloads
27 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
HPMONDRIV.ZIP
File size
4 KiB
Downloads
27 downloads
File license

Reply 2 of 6, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-10-18, 18:52:
Try this, which covers a number of models including yours […]
Show full quote
Greetings venerable Vogons. I hope we're all doing well and installing lots of intergalactic bypasses! […]
Show full quote

WHATSNEW.TXT

HPMONDRIV.ZIP

Thank you so much, I'll give that a go now and let you know how I fair.

Reply 3 of 6, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmmm, so even though I installed the HP drivers, it's still locked to 16 colours and 640x480 resolution. I have reset the machine multiple times, but its still stuck like this, as if there are no display drivers installed at all.

Is there a way that I can force it to recognise the current display driver?

Attachments

• screenshot2.jpg
    Filename
    screenshot2.jpg
    File size
    42.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • screenshot1.jpg
    Filename
    screenshot1.jpg
    File size
    48.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 6, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it! For some reason I had to reinstall the nVidia drivers for my GPU, but now everything is working great.

My only remaining concern is that this monitor has no OSD, so I can't tell what refresh rate it's running at. The "monitor" section within display properties just says it's running at "optimal". Oh well, it looks pretty good to my eyes, so it can't be too bad. Time for some Age of Empires and Starcraft!

Reply 5 of 6, by Snookeroo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote
Show full quote

WHATSNEW.TXT

HPMONDRIV.ZIP

Thanks again for the sweet hookup. I'm intrigued to know how you found them. I was googling for ages and couldn't turn up anything.

Reply 6 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snookeroo wrote on 2022-10-18, 23:12:
Show full quote
Show full quote

WHATSNEW.TXT

HPMONDRIV.ZIP

Thanks again for the sweet hookup. I'm intrigued to know how you found them. I was googling for ages and couldn't turn up anything.

No probs - was the first google search I tried for "D2813 display driver", and the third hit down was for driverguide.com - https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=36884 - usually a good source for these things, and as it listed your model thought it would be worth a go.

Also, broader searches seem to suggest the internals are based on the fixed frequency Philips / Magnavox model CM2099 - https://web.archive.org/web/19991103094600/ht … rs/Magna14.html

CM2099.jpg
Filename
CM2099.jpg
File size
295.92 KiB
Views
File license