First post, by grantek
I recently came into possession of this card that looks like a Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D, and have had problems getting it going:
It looks clean (probably cleaned up by the previous owner if there was any visible damage), I've seen a few photos of these with different branding on the lower right of the PCB, this one has the Maxi Gamer 3D logo silkscreened on it, then silkscreened over with a white box.
After a lot of troubleshooting and experimentation with the driver variables, I've found:
- Tomb Raider in pure DOS works perfectly
- The card locks up after a few seconds in Windows 98 or 95 - in GLQuake it sometimes gets partway into the opening demo.
- Currently using Glide v2.46 from the Guillemot driver CD, also tried 2.48 from the reference and Iceman driver packs
- Downclocking to 25MHz (SST_GRXCLK=25), GLQuake works with no problems except slow performance.
- At 27MHz I start getting card lockups again, sometimes as early as the 3DFX splash screen.
The most interesting thing I've found is downclocking to 20MHz, I get no lockups but see vertical bands of corrupt dots on the screen:
I'm hoping this means it's an issue with the FBI DRAM, because they're easier to replace than a failing FBI chip.
Can anyone with a working Voodoo1 (preferably with similar 50ns Alliance RAM) try SST_GRXCLK=20 and let me know if you can see similar frame buffer corruption? It's easier to see with textures disabled (SST_TEXMAP_DISABLE=1).
Also, does anyone know how the RAM clock is controlled in relation to SST_GRXCLK?