VOGONS

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My pIII machine currently has a geforce gt 7600 and a voodoo 2 card. when i try to run a game called Bug!, all the graphic in the background is ,well, bugged. Is all glitched out. game itself runs fine.

if i run same game on pcem or 86box etc game looks perfect.

Drivers are up to date to latest drivers, both 3dfx and the agp card.

I thought that maybe the passthrough card was the issue, so i detached it and turned on the pc with just the agp card. same issue. all other 3d or 2s games i have run perfectly well.

now, scrounging through my closet i found a MATROX MYSTIQUE 4MB PCI and an ATI RADEON 64 mb.

could it be that one of those cards (possibly the first one, being that the game is from 1996) would work better with the game? and if yes, can win 98 handle two video cards at the same time, with two different kind of drivers?

Reply 1 of 5, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it is, possible but was sometimes buggy or occasionally the cards would have resource conflicts.

Was also possible although more difficult under Windows 95, 3.11 and even dos

CGA/MDA being the first dual monitor configuration

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That GT7600 is extremely modern by 98 standards. It's no wonder your running into compatibility issues.
If you wanted to simplify your setup you could try swapping it out for the Radeon and checking how rest of the games perform.
BUT as it's just the one game your having issues with you could go down this dual card option.

As mentioned above, Win98 supports dual screen, It's the video card drivers that cause most issues. My money is Matrox drivers having a better chance playing nice with the Nvidia ones.
You'll also have to switch the primary card in BIOS from AGP to PCI when you want games to use the Matrox. Most games of this era didn't allow you to select which display card was used and would just default to the primary.

Reply 3 of 5, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GeForce 7600GT is not suitable for Windows 98 as it requires driver that is too new. It's a Windows XP graphics card. You need GeForce 4 or FX.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 5, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I use a AGP Radeon 8500 and a PCI Voodoo 3 in one of my rigs. Just have to switch primary in the BIOS.
Nut agree the Geforce 7600 is going to be problematic at best with Win98.

Reply 5 of 5, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember where I found this years ago, but credit goes to Mike Roemer, the author. This is the guide I use to accomplish having two video cards under Win98SE.

Filename
Dual Hardware Profiles.pdf
File size
193.96 KiB
Downloads
57 downloads
File license
Public domain

It's also available here, although I'm pretty sure this isn't where I originally found the document:
http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/documen … lHwProfiles.pdf