VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got my dream motherboard, and the monitor setup I wanted to be able to use.

However, there's a problem I've been having with the Catalyst installation programs, to be able to use the Radeon 7000 video card that I got. I'm not having a problem with the drivers; those I found a workaround for. It's the display control panel that I need, to be able to set up my internal video, and TV-out connection. The setup shows the standard"InstallShield Wizard is setting up your system" window, and then nothing happens. As I'm typing this, I've had an installation hanging for 15 minutes, waiting for it to do something, just in case the process is really that slow.

Previous attempts have forced me to quit the install, which brings up a "Remote call failed" error.

Is there something I can do to make this work?

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
T-Squared wrote on 2022-11-03, 02:41:
I finally got my dream motherboard, and the monitor setup I wanted to be able to use. […]
Show full quote

I finally got my dream motherboard, and the monitor setup I wanted to be able to use.

However, there's a problem I've been having with the Catalyst installation programs, to be able to use the Radeon 7000 video card that I got. I'm not having a problem with the drivers; those I found a workaround for. It's the display control panel that I need, to be able to set up my internal video, and TV-out connection. The setup shows the standard"InstallShield Wizard is setting up your system" window, and then nothing happens. As I'm typing this, I've had an installation hanging for 15 minutes, waiting for it to do something, just in case the process is really that slow.

Previous attempts have forced me to quit the install, which brings up a "Remote call failed" error.

Is there something I can do to make this work?

Care to share which motherboard you are using and especially which drivers and Control Panel you are installing (are they a matched set) ?
Also, which OS is this (is it afresh install or did you keep a previous one and swapped motherboards) ?
Are motherboard chipset drivers installed ?

Reply 2 of 10, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an ASUS P3B-F Rev 1.04. (With a modified BIOS courtesy of a VOGONS member.)

This is in Windows XP, and yeah, I probably need to re-install the OS.

I wasn't aware that the chipset drivers needed to be installed. (It seems to work fine.)

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
T-Squared wrote on 2022-11-03, 02:58:

It's an ASUS P3B-F Rev 1.04. (With a modified BIOS courtesy of a VOGONS member.)

This is in Windows XP, and yeah, I probably need to re-install the OS.

I wasn't aware that the chipset drivers needed to be installed. (It seems to work fine.)

If the Windows install is from a non 440BX based mother originally, I would try a re-install first.
For XP, you should be fine as Windows XP includes chipset drivers for the 440BX as that chipset was released years before XP was .

What driver package(s) are you using for the ATI card ?

Reply 5 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
T-Squared wrote on 2022-11-03, 03:49:
darry wrote on 2022-11-03, 03:47:

What driver package(s) are you using for the ATI card ?

Catalyst 3.0

Also, yes, this install of XP is basically from a 440BX board.

Have tried this ?
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 584&menustate=0

Why are you trying with Catalyst 3.0 specifically ?

Reply 6 of 10, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I did, but it's not the driver that I'm running into problems with. It's the InstallShield wizard hanging on either installation program.

I want to install the Control Panel to control the Radeon card, but the install program stops running properly once it gets past "The InstallShield Wizard is setting up your computer". (It's still active according to the OS, since it's in the taskbar, but that's all.)

Reply 7 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
T-Squared wrote on 2022-11-03, 04:16:

I think I did, but it's not the driver that I'm running into problems with. It's the InstallShield wizard hanging on either installation program.

I want to install the Control Panel to control the Radeon card, but the install program stops running properly once it gets past "The InstallShield Wizard is setting up your computer". (It's still active according to the OS, since it's in the taskbar, but that's all.)

So 2 different driver set are giving the same result installing the Control panel ? Maybe it's time to try that Windows re-install.

Maybe there's a fix in a Windows update or maybe one of the updates you have installed is causing the issue .

Hopefully somebody with a better idea will chime in .

Reply 9 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't remember when ATI made .NET a requirement or even what version but make sure at the very least 2.0 SP2 is installed. .NET 3.5SP1 should install it anyway but may be more than what you want on your system.

If you can't get the Control Panel working you can always use ATI Tray Tools.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 10, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was only able to get this .NET stuff working (I've used it in the past) by using the v4 standalone installer. The rest are broek. [sic] (They were looking for the interim graphics driver installer "RGB9RAST.msi"...)

Also, it still didn't respond. I'm out of options.

EDIT: I ran the install as Administrator. I found it!

(Also, you need to not have the card present/set as the primary adapter, which may be difficult with Win XP, but it's easy when you have multiple displays/adapters.)