VOGONS

First post, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a few vintage portables & luggables that have 16 color / grey scale displays, but for some reason, when running in Windows / DOS VGA games, the colors get corrupted.

In text mode, e.g., DOS text editor, everything works as it should; blue is blue, green is green etc., but when I load windows or run a dos VGA game e.g., Doom, I get a scrambled color palette.

The photos attached are of my Toshiba T5200c - a very early VGA 16-color screen. I can verify it is *not* the VGA card itself, as on the external display the colors are fine. For some reason on the internal display, the colors come out garbled. There are no BIOS settings that fix the issue.

I also have a few gas plasma portables that seem to have the same problem - their internal gas plasma displays for some reason display a palette that is garbled, but text mode runs just fine.

Is there a utility that can "shift" the color registers somehow on boot, so that the colors / shades of grey can be customized?

I found a utility called Tweak16b but I am unsure if this is what I need... http://www.lanet.lv/simtel.net/msdos/vga-pre.html

Any ideas / thoughts / pointers in the right direction would be really appreciated! also apologies in advance - my understanding of graphics modes is rudimentary at best!

Attached CRT output and Internal display images (Ignore the rainbow-ing on the internal display, its just the green hue and corrupt color palette I am talking about.)

Attachments

• Internal Display.jpg
    Filename
    Internal Display.jpg
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • CRT.JPG
    Filename
    CRT.JPG