VOGONS

First post, by AtomicPlayboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My problem: I have a PowerMac 6500/300 with an Ati Rage card which will only output analog VGA. I have a Apple Cinema Display which will only accept digital DVI. I have tried a few different adapters, each of which claims to work in the desired direction (i.e. VGA->DVI, not the reverse), but cannot get a signal through the DVI end. I've tried various combinations of adaptor (male/female combos on either side) and cable (VGA cable, DVI cable), to no avail. I know that both the Mac and the display work, as I've connected them to other equipment without any issues.

I suspect this is because of an analog / digital signal divide., though I'm not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the VGA/DVI-I/DVI-D standards. Can anyone suggest a solution beyond what I have already tried. Is this even possible? I have read about $300 analog to digital converters, but don't want to spend that much money trying to solve the problem. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 2, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DVI-I is just DVI-D and VGA (digital and analog) signals on a single port. These are where your passive VGA adapters plug into and just provide a VGA port with no signal conversion.

DVI-D is essentially HDMI without the audio signals. You can passively convert between HDMI and DVI-D.

If you can convert VGA to HDMI then you should be good to go, albeit with a passive adapter to convert to the required DVI-D connection the ACD needs.