VOGONS

First post, by retroboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Windows 98SE machine has a Geforce FX5500, which only has a DVI-I, a VGA, and an S-Video output.
I want to use it on my ViewSonic XG2431 at 1920x1080 @144Hz.
Most DVI-D to HDMI cables appear to operate in single link mode mode, even if they have the dual link pins, so they only support up to 1920x1200 @60Hz.

Does anyone here have any good recommendations, or would I be better off with a DVI-D to DisplayPort active converter?

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a) I wouldn't get my hope hopes up regarding dual-link DVI working at high refresh rates under Windows 98SE, even on newer Nvidia GPUs . See Video card for Windows 98, with support for DVI Dual Link, for a modern DVI-D monitor (144Hz+).

b) Where did you see that a Geforce FX 5500 (or any member of the GeForce FX family) is actual capable of dual-link DVI ? Was it a reliable source ? nVidia doesn't mention this at all in any of the docs that I was able to find .

See
https://web.archive.org/web/20190831185445/ht … ort&primitive=0
https://web.archive.org/web/20060420081625/ht … 0109351638.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20060105041643/ht … 0109440047.html

EDIT: c) Even assuming dual link DVI was possible on an FX 5500 AND that output in 1920x1080@144Hz was possible, what games would you expect to be able to run in 1920x1080at 144 frames per second ?
Have a look at some benchmarks https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pov_gef … 0_review,1.html

Reply 2 of 4, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are no adapters capable of converting DVI's Dual Link speeds to HDMI. All DVI to HDMI (active or passive), are single link only.
On top of that, not all monitors are recognised as high refresh capable ones under Win98 (.inf monitor driver may be required). If your monitor doesn't have it, software with custom resolution setup (like either NV/ATI's driver control panel or 3-rd party software with build-in capabilities like PowerStrip), is required to add supported modes manually.

I highly recommend buying a good/higher quality VGA to DVI/HDMI adapter, for better chance of reaching higher refresh rates on DVI/HDMI monitors (VGA makes it compatible with A LOT more retro GPUs, which is more important than pure 85Hz+ refresh I think).
DisplayPort on monitor side is a bit different ball game, but from my limited testing - adapters for it have the same limitations as DVI to HDMI ones.

Sadly, I don't know how monitor with Dual Link DVI requirement will behave when connected through VGA to DVI adapter.

EDIT : WARNING
I mean "ADC" convertion only when I mention VGA to DVI/HDMI adapters (GPU = VGA, monitor = DVI/HDMI), and NOT "DAC" ones like in DVI/HDMI to VGA case (GPU = DVI/HDMI, monitor = VGA).
This is VERY important, as there are many DVI to VGA adapters (DAC), which DO NOT work in reversed order connection (ADC).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2022-11-09, 06:23. Edited 7 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 4, by retroboy87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll stick with my CRT for 98SE, as it's much more convenient and fitting for that OS.
Plus, I hate LCD's eye tracking motion blur caused by sample and hold, during fast vertical and horizontal motion/scrolling/panning.

Reply 4 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote on 2022-11-09, 05:37:
There are no adapters capable of converting DVI's Dual Link speeds to HDMI. All DVI to HDMI (active or passive), are single link […]
Show full quote

There are no adapters capable of converting DVI's Dual Link speeds to HDMI. All DVI to HDMI (active or passive), are single link only.
On top of that, not all monitors are recognised as high refresh capable ones under Win98 (.inf monitor driver may be required). If your monitor doesn't have it, software with custom resolution setup (like either NV/ATI's driver control panel or 3-rd party software with build-in capabilities like PowerStrip), are required to add supported modes manually.

I highly recommend buying a good/higher quality VGA to DVI/HDMI adapter, for better chance of reaching higher refresh rates on DVI/HDMI monitors (VGA makes it compatible with A LOT more retro GPUs).
DisplayPort on monitor side is a bit different ball game, but from my limited testing adapters for it have the same limitations as DVI to HDMI ones.

Sadly, I don't know how monitor with Dual Link DVI requirement will behave when connected through VGA to DVI adapter.

IMPORTANT :
I mean "ADC" convertion only when I mention VGA to DVI/HDMI (GPU = VGA to monitor = DVI/HDMI) adapters and NOT "DAC" ones like in DVI/HDMI to VGA (GPU = DVI/HDMI to monitor = VGA) case.
This is VERY important, as there are many DVI to VGA adapters (DAC), which DO NOT work in reversed order connection (or ADC).

Converting dual-link DVI to displayport is possible .
See https://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DVIDL-2-MDP- … r/dp/B01LZT2Z15
Converting DP to to HDMI ( at >165MHz bandwidth) is possible too.

That being said, the above point is an academic one because

a) the FX 5500 is DVI single link only (feel free to provide evidence to the contrary)
b) getting dual-ink DVI working on Nvidia cards that do support it under Windows 98 is potentially problematic/difficult
c) An FX 5500 is not fast enough to be able to generate 144FPS at 1920x1080 while doing anything of note (gaming).

Getting refresh rates >60Hz on older cards is possible in Windows 98 over single link DVI, see 6800 gt 144hz monitor 62 hz cap , but at the expense of resolution and possibly by running hardware out of spec.